Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** The Sensual World Annotated Lyrics PART III - OOPS! ***

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 92 18:39:04 PST
Subject: *** The Sensual World Annotated Lyrics PART III - OOPS! ***
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

[the last part of the section message got cut off, sorry.  Here's the
whole last section]

4

OTHER USES OF ULYSSES

        There is a general Joycean feel to Kate's work, both in its
Irishness and in the overall level of its detail and the richness and
diversity of its reference. However, the only certain Joycean reference
in Kate's work is the song "My Lagan Love". A more dubious one is
Stephen's reference to "every ninth, breaking, plashing, from far, from
farther out, waves and waves" in the third chapter (Penguin p.38 line
40).  Kate and Joyce might simply be independently aware of the same
bit of folk wisdom however.  Also, Kate has specically said she got the
title from the quote on the back of "Hounds of Love."
        Another unlikely influence on Kate's work from Ulysses is "all
the amount of pleasure they get off _a_womans_body_ were so round and
white for them always I wished I was one myself for a change"  [Penguin
ed. page 638 lines 41-2.], which is simular to "I'd make a deal with
god and get him to swap our places" [RUTH]

        An edited version of the Ulysses passage, beginning with the
line "I'd love to have the whole place swimming in roses" (642 line 42)
 has been set to music (!) for soprano (!) solo and orchestra by
Stephen Albert under the title of "Flower of the Mountain" (!). I have
located the piano reduction of  Albert's score, which was published in
1986 by Schirmer. It is orchestrated for 2 flutes (2nd doubling
piccolo), 2 oboes (2nd doubling English horn), 2 A clarinets, 2 F
horns, 2 Bb trumpets, percussion, piano, harp and strings. It runs
about 16:00. It was first performed by Lucy Shelton at the Y in NYC, 17
May 1986. I don't think it has been recorded.

        The recent film _James_Joyce's_Women_, which starred Fionula
Flanagan as Molly Bloom, included a long soliloquy based on but also of
course much different from the original in _Ulysses_.
        The Firesign Theater used that same speech in the end of their
album, "How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere
At All?"? Of course, the effect is slightly *different*... the speaker
is that perpetual flimflam artist cum used-car salesman, Ralph
Spoilsport... I don't know if this one made it to CD, but it's
definitely worth a listen.

        Rupert Croft-Cooke has a book entitled _The_Sensual_World_, but
it's probably just a co-incidence.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA