Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-30 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ranking albums & other blabblings (was Re: Gabriel

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: 17 Oct 92 03:45:28 GMT
Subject: Ranking albums & other blabblings (was Re: Gabriel
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

72210.2035@CompuServe.COM (Mike Weaver) writes:

>(Larry Spence wrote:)
>-> Yo, Vickie, are you serious?  What about _Passion_?  Does it not count
>>because it's a soundtrack and has no lyrics?  IMHO _Passion_ is one of,
>>if not the, best things PG has done.

I accidentally deleted Larry's post before I could answer it, so thanks
Mike, for giving me another chance. _Passion_ is up there, and it's one
of my favorites. I suppose that's the trouble with "ranking" albums...
Something has to go near the bottom. In cases like Peter and Kate and
Happy and Jane, artists who have multiple albums, all of which I love,
the favorites are the ones that mean a little something extra to me.
The albums at the bottom of the list are the ones I just don't listen to
as often, even though I love them dearly.

Kate            Peter              Happy               Jane
----            -----              -----               ----
Dreaming        Security           Ecto                Walking
TKI             PGIII              VI                  Speckless Sky
TNW             PGI                Warpaint            No Borders Here
TSW             Passion            Rearmament          Bound By the Beauty
N4E             US                 VII                 Jane Siberry
HoL             Birdy
Lionheart       So
                PGII

That doesn't mean I dislike Lionheart, PGII, VII & JS, I think they're
all wonderful albums, but they always seem to get ranked last.
(Yeah, I separate the 2 sides of HoL, it's my list :-) )
The albums in the middle can undergo the "whatever I'm listening to..."
syndrome, but the first and last ones never seem to change.

But yeah, Larry, I did forget about Passion. Thanks for reminding me.

It isn't that I think that Peter will never top Security or that
Kate will never top TD....wait, I lost my train of thought, because...
Never mind. Peter will *never* top Security and Kate will *never* top
TD.  (IMHO, of course & as usual)

It isn't that I think that they can only go downhill from there, just
that I'm positive (okay, 99.9% positive) that those 2 albums will never
be toppled. Wait, make that 100% positive wrt Kate, because if she
ever came out with an album that toppled TD, I'd be dyin' & gone to
heaven. What is heaven, anyway? If I had my druthers, it would be a
place where I could just listen to great music all the time. But I do
that now. Wow! I'm in heaven! What was I talking about....? Oh yeah...TD.
Nope, she won't do it, she won't come out with an album that budges TD
out of 1st. Wait, we were talking about Peter, weren't we....?

(This is your brain: *)
(This is your brain on Paula Abdul: ________._________)
(This is your brain on TD: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!*!!!!!!!!!!!!)

So what about Peter? I always consider Peter in 3 parts anyway. There's
the Genesis Peter, the Solo Peter and the Soundtrack Peter. If my brain
weren't on TD right now I'd try to think of more things to say that would
hopefully be clever and concise and pertinent to the discussion at hand.
As it is, I'd rather go turn the stereo up LOUD.

>Wish he'd decided to take a good long vacation before commiting Kiss That
>Frog to tape, though

Hey, I *really* like KTF. I was waiting for a bus and listening to US
on headphones. I had the "Super Bass" turned on and when KTF came on
I was hooked. I thought the lyrics were a bit silly, but when I'm in
mood I like them. The lyrics do actually have a deep undercurrent,
all about self-esteem & such. Still, that bass line is what endears
the song to me. "Really gets me going" as Kate would say.

> - or at least put it somewhere other than right after
>Fourteen Black Paintings.

Maybe I agree with you there. I've been mostly listening to the album
in random repeat.