Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (no subject given!)

From: craddock@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz (Craddock)
Date: 12 Oct 1992 22:18:30 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: (no subject given!)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Gordon Locke) writes:

>Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
>From: glocke@morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Gordon Locke  )
>Subject: Re: Wow! vs. Kashka?
>Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1992 20:46:54 GMT

>In article <1992Oct12.170829.3507@galileo.cc.rochester.edu> as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik) writes:
>>	The lyrics to "Wow!" contain a line which *sounds* like: "He's too
>>busy hitting the Vaseline".  If this is really how the lyrics go, am I
>>mistaken in assuming that Kate is establishing the "He" as a--to be
>>technical--homosexual?  If so, I wish she could have found a more appealing
>>turn of phrase.  It borders on the offensive, were I the easily offended
>>type.

>	Yes, I understand the song to be referring to homosexuals, but
>in a positive way.  Don't forget, the actor's "Vaseline-hitting" is why
>
>"he'll never make the Sweeney (movie theatre?) / Or be that movie queen".  I've always taken this to refer to discSrimination in the acting business.

Isn't Sweeney cockney or rhyming slang for police or CID. I seem to remember some old
british cop show called 'The Sweeney" with dennis waterman. Anyway that
should strengthen your argument as I don't believe the police, at that time

at least, let homosexuals into the force. hence never make the sweeney.

--
Mark Craddock                      |  'University kills intellect by
Department of Engineering Science  |     degrees'   Andrew Davies