Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-29 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Wow! vs. Kashka?

From: as010b@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (andrew david simchik)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 92 17:08:29 GMT
Subject: Wow! vs. Kashka?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@galileo.cc.rochester.edu

	I'll probably get in trouble for interpretation again, but could
someone help me with this?
	The lyrics to "Wow!" contain a line which *sounds* like: "He's too
busy hitting the Vaseline".  If this is really how the lyrics go, am I
mistaken in assuming that Kate is establishing the "He" as a--to be
technical--homosexual?  If so, I wish she could have found a more appealing
turn of phrase.  It borders on the offensive, were I the easily offended
type.
	However, another song on the album, "Kashka from Baghdad"--and here
I'm sure I'll plunge myself into attacks of flaming from all sides--*seems*
to imply a homosexual couple.  The line goes, if I hear it right, "Kashka
from Baghdad lives in sin, they say, with another man but no one knows who."
I take this line to mean (since I don't know the gender of the name Kashka)
that Kashka is also a man.  Now the song is very positive ("They know the
way to be happy") and I wonder at Kate's inclusion of both lyrics on the
same album.  Am I interpreting this the way most people do?  Is Kashka a
woman, really?  What are the thoughts out there?  And what's Kate's opinion
regarding sexual preference?
	BTW, I refer to two songs from Kate Bush's _Lionheart_ album, for
those who are unclear.

	--Andrew D. Simchik
	who doesn't speak for the U of R