Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori in BAM==Utah Saints' quote re:sampling Kate

From: L-H@cup.portal.COM
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 92 23:39:35 PDT
Subject: Re: Tori in BAM==Utah Saints' quote re:sampling Kate
To: Love-Hounds@eddie.mit.edu

<hi jill!>

But speaking of acts that have used Kate to further their careers, I
happened to notice tonight at my local 7-11 the October issue of _DJ Times_.
The cover noted an interview with the Utah Saints, so I went into Kate Scan
Mode, and read a quote from band member Tim Garbutt (I may misremember his
name) regarding liberal use of sampling by groups of other's works.  The
interviewer asked why they used the Kate Bush sample in their recent big
song.  Here's what Garbutt had to say to that:

"By using Kate Bush samples, we're getting a nice cross-section of people
 buying our ravers."

Wow, what a really deeep answer...  I had occasion to hear this thing the
other day, and I must confess that I do not intend to become a part of this
cross-section.  :-)  Gawd, some of the stuff that makes it these days...

Larry (L-H@cup.portal.COM)

(oh yeah, I will say that the cover pic of Tori on _BAM_ is quite lovely.
 I'm sure that this would be a welcomed addition to a true Tori fan's
 collection.  I could not say if this shot has appeared elsewhere, however.
 Hurry up and get it while it's free though, before IGG snarfs them up for
 sale-hee hee..)