Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Deeper understanding

From: clsi!hank@uunet.UU.NET (Henry W. Kilmer)
Date: 28 Sep 92 12:03:15
Subject: Re: Deeper understanding
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: clsi!!usenet@uunet.UU.NET

In article <Sep.27.12.26.54.1992.9454@maurolycus.rutgers.edu> jessica@maurolycus.rutgers.edu (jessica) writes:

>  When I spoke of the positive side of computer networked conversation,
>  I in no way meant to imply that it should become a replacement for in
>  person interaction. For it to be successful, i'm quite certain that
>  you must *not* let it do so! I have seen people who are shy, insecure,
>  have great difficulty interacting with people in person, find
>  themselves able to do so to a great extent over the net. Now the
>  lucky ones say "hey, may I can take what i've learned here and apply
>  it to my in-person interactions! The unlucky ones think "this is tyhe
>  only way i _can_ communicate with people."
>
>  I think *talking*, very openly and a great deal about these subjects -
>  educating people as to the positive and dangerous sides, is what's
>  important. It almost has to be treated as one would a drug or
>  dangerous communicable disease. People simply have to be _educated_,
>  so that they are less likely to fall into trouble and instead get true
>  beneefit and enjoyment from the facilities they have access to.

I completely agree with Jessica (Hi Jess! :-).  In fact,  I feel as
though I am one of those people who used the computer interactions to
gain self-confidence and apply that to my in-person interactions.
Realizing and discussing both sides of computer networked conversation
is very important.  It *can* become addictive and detrimental just
like a drug can.  But it can also be a wonderful addition to a persons
life.  Educating people about both sides of computer communication can
help others stay out of trouble and enjoy computer communication.

-Hank     hank@clsi.COM

When it daws on you, what it takes from you, Living on
on the clouds of pain.  There's a storm in you.  You don't
know what to do.  Just when you think you're going insane,
you're like naked in the rain.       --C/N