Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Deeper understanding

From: mortal@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (71079000)
Date: 27 Sep 1992 01:53:01 GMT
Subject: Re: Deeper understanding
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <01GP47K9VDTG90MYSJ@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU> MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU writes:
>Jessica brought up a wonderful point about computer interaction
>in the "Deeper Understanding" discussion.  Right now I am sitting
>physically alone in my room in an empty apartment.  Yet all I
>have to do is turn my computer on, dial a number, and I'm hanging
>out in a room with about 50 of my closest friends, reading mail
>and corresponding with people literally spanning the globe,
>getting to know them from the inside out, so when I do finally
>meet them in person it's just adding another dimension to our
>relationship.  That's about as far from "cold" and "impersonal"
>as you can get!

Allow me to play devil's advocate for a bit. I've been involved with
various aspects of the online scene for a few years now, and I can sayy
from personal experience that it's not all rosebuds and spam. Modeming
can be, to paraphrase "The Breakfast Club": "social. Demented and sad,
but social." Maybe my experiences are different from yours, but I've
found that even in the midst of fascinating information and discussion,
there is still a pale isolation to online communication.

I'm not badmouthing netters, mind you. I just feel that in "Deeper
Understanding," Kate Bush was on to something. I see it as a sort
of modern Pyramus and Thisbe: the thrill of companionship is offset
by the continuing isolation, and vice versa.

--
+ Lore Christian        + "I want to be a lawyer--            +