Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

San Diego Street Scene 1992 - Digeridoos, "Geena", and me.

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 92 22:58:45 PDT
Subject: San Diego Street Scene 1992 - Digeridoos, "Geena", and me.
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        On Saturday, September 11, I went to the San Diego STREET
SCENE, which is basicly where they rope off a couple of square blocks
downtowna and have about 10 stages going all the time, with a total of
like 50 bands a night!  I managed to see little bits of about 10 bands.

        One of the first was a band from called OUTBACK, which featured
a real live Didgeridoo player, the first one I'd ever seen.  People
seemed real interested in the instrument, I was like "the expert",
despite the fact I'd never even seen one!  I saw the guy who played it
later taking to a woman, and said "nice Digeridoo'in", but
unfortunately he was more interested in the woman.

        I then saw Tom Scott. a sax player who's played with just about
everybody, and used to be band leader for Pat Sajak :-).  He was cool
anyway.  I then saw a little of the Dirty Dozen Brass band (cool),
zoomed past the Gospel Tent, saw The Tom Tom Club (too crowded, and no
too interesting, to me), and saw Tom Mayall and the Blues brakers.

        I then saw Sophie B. Hawkins, which I believe a lot of people
here like.  It was a very trippy, sexual experience.  Half of the
audience seemed to be acting like she was a God or something (like we
would act around Kate perhaps :-).  She was incredibly wild on stage,
at one point one of the guitarists rubbed his guitar on the inside of
her leg, and then brought it up, and she grabbed it, and, well, this is
a "family" newsgroup so I won't go on.  There was the woman who looked
kinda like a Mexican Geena Davis (ALERT: GEENA DAVIS'S NEW MOVIE
OCTOBER 2) standing behind me worshiping, and at one point I felt these
hands rubbing my shoulders, and then going down my back.  I was
thinking something like, "Hm, I didn't know these things happened at
concerts.  :-)  After about a minute, I figured I better see who she
was.  I turned around and it was some drunk gay guy.  "I know you, I've
seen you at ...", he breathed into my face.  (I think he was trying to
say "Price Club").  After making me sick with his breath several times,
he finally stomped off.

        What was amazing about the whole Street Scene was the fact that
with all the different bands and groups of people, everyone got along
and was friendly and there wasn't any problems.

        Next week it's NEIL YOUNG (ACCOUSTIC) and then the week after
BRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEE, anyone wanna see
Bruce with me, as I may have an extra ticket.

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA