Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Jazzed Up Kate?

From: yawitz@apple.COM
Date: 19 Sep 92 03:44:11 GMT
Subject: Re: Jazzed Up Kate?
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucbvax.berkeley.EDU
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@apple.COM

In article <1992Sep18.010957.531@news.uiowa.edu> thedens@alesi.cipl.uiowa.edu
(Dan Thedens) writes:

>While browsing the local CD shop today, I ran across a CD
>by Sonny Sharrock (a heavy fusion guitarist).  The title
>eludes me at the moment (High Flying or something), but
>among the tracks listed was a song called "Kate",
>subtitled "Variations on a Theme by Kate Bush".
>
>Has anybody heard (of) this?  What "theme" might this
>be?  Is Sonny a known KaTeFan?

The album is called 'Highlife', and the track 'Kate' is a variation on the
final melody from 'Wuthering Heights'; if you wished that the closing moments
of that song would run a lot longer, you would probably enjoy this tune.
Sharrock has also played with Bill Laswell and those guys, if that's any help;
his style is pretty aggressive jazz fusion, often best played LOUD.  This album
is one of his more 'conventional' fusion efforts; I'm usually lousy at drawing
comparisons, so you guys are on your own from here...

| Mitchell Yawitz                    | Internet:  yawitz@apple.com        |
| Apple Computer, Inc.               | AppleLink: YAWITZ.M                |
| ATG / Human Interface Group        |------------------------------------|
| 20525 Mariani Ave.  MS 76-3H       | Tel:       (408) 974-0027          |
| Cupertino, CA  95014               | Fax:       (408) 974-0234          |