Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate on Super Channel

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 92 17:59:21 +0200
Subject: Kate on Super Channel
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi all,

I always knew that SuperChannel is better than MTV, at least in their
musical taste. After the only Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan videos besides
Tori Amos' 'SATY' I have seen at least partially were on SuperChannel, this
Saturday I flipped through the channels and saw Kates 'Rocket Man'. If
it weren't the case that I already have 'RM' from MTV (and as such in stereo),
I would be a little bit angry because my VCR wasn't ready... but, after
the 'Rocket Man' video there was an interview with one guy of the Utah Saints.
They talked about sampling in general and especially from Kate and Annie Lennox,
two people who never before sanctioned using samples from them. Utah Saints
always work like they have worked with Kate: they do their song and then
approach the artist. The guy said that it would technically easier to take
another Kate song to get a sample, e.g. 'Wuthering Heights', but the line
'Something Good...' would fit best into their song. The guy also said that
Utah Saints were performing about 50 gigs in the past year or so. I don't
think that I really have to tell you what video was played next: 'Something
Good'. That's one-and-a-half Kate Bush videos in a row, like half a 3 from 1...

Uli

P.S. One of the Editors of 'All Mixed Up', the programme on which the above
appeared, is called 'Dave Bush', might this be the reason for the
Kateacceptance you can see on that programme?