Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

utah saints

From: Jackie Zucconi <mailrus!gatech!netlink.cts.COM!lionhart@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 92 00:35:47 PDT
Subject: utah saints
To: gatech!mit-eddie!love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

mailrus!gatech!tlon.mit.edu!rob@uunet.uu.net (Rob Sanner) writes:

> their song, which is getting a distressing amount of airplay up here
> is called, i think, "something good", and is built almost entirely
> around a sample from cloudbusting.
>
> while catchy, it really burns me that something like this can qualify
> as somehow a "new" composition.  actually, what is the copyright law on
> this; does KaTe have to give permission for the sample?? if not, the piece
> becomes even more execrable IMHO.
>
> --rob

As far as I've been able to find out Kate did indeed give permission to
the Utah Saints to use a sample from Cloudbusting; permission was also
dependent upon paying a fee (Kate's no fool). What I'm curious to find
out is whether or not this was a flat fee or is she getting royalties. I
hope she made it a royalty deal because (as far as the CMJ report goes)
it's an extremely hot seller in the UK and gain ground here in the
techno-rave scene. This could make her a tidy little sum to put-off an
album release for another year don't you think?!
                     Kateness,
                           Lionheart

--
INTERNET:  lionhart@netlink.cts.com (Jackie Zucconi)