Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Copyright stuff

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 92 00:34:26 PDT
Subject: Copyright stuff
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Cloudbuster

        Bob Sanner asks a bunch of questions about whether or not
Kate's contribution to stuff like the Utah Saints thing is covered by
copyright.  I don't know much about the specifics of _sampling_
copyright, but I believe these are covered by the idea of "derivative"
works, where only the parts that are original to the artist are
copyrightable.  They could presumably do _anything_ they want with
these parts, but if they want to do something with the _whole_ work,
including Kate's contribution they have to get Kate's permission.
Presumably the agreement with Kate covers how much she gets paid, what
can be done with the new work, etc.  A good book on this stuff is THE
COPYRIGHT BOOK by William S. Strong, the only book I know of which
explains these things in easy to understand language and praticle
terms.

        Martin Schluetz breaks the news that Kate played in Germany!
Wow and we missed it.  NOT!  Does anyone want to start a pool as to
whom it was he actually did record?? :-)

        Wow, IED's back, temporarily.  Say something _wise_ IED, so
that we truely know you're back!  :-)

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA