Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

(no subject given!)

From: Jackie Zucconi <mailrus!gatech!netlink.cts.COM!lionhart@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 92 00:41:42 PDT
Subject: (no subject given!)
To: gatech!mit-eddie!love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

fiona_mcquarrie@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca writes:

> At the risk of fanning the flames even further, I'd like to have something
> clarified. Intergalactic Garage sells copies of a videotape that Kate Bush's
> brother has specifically asked not be circulated. Vickie sends out tapes
> of music by female artists which presumably are covered by copyright,
> royalty agreements for reproductions, etc. Why is one OK and the other not?
>  (disclaimer: I am not trying to take sides in this debate, having never
> bought from either IG or C-Side. I would just like some clarification of
> the issues involved here.)

can't believe I'm getting into this.....well here I go....
If "A" circulates copies of tapes technically he is breaking a copyright
law mainly because of the copying involved NOT free circulation.
If "B" copies tapes and sells them there are two violations of copyright
laws. 1) illegal copying of tapes and 2) illegal sale of tapes. This is
my rudimentary understanding of the legal bits. Both are wrong but one is
one more accounts. And actually the recording industry seems to be more
adamant about stopping illegal sale as opposed to just illegal copying.
Making a home cassette tape of a Kate cd to play in your car is illegal
copying but it's not enforced because it's hard to and it doesn't detract
from record company sales.
                     Kateness,
                            Lionheart

--