Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: FAQ-comments, div. info/questions

From: E Welsh <welsh@epcc.edinburgh.ac.uk>
Date: 26 Aug 92 11:13:25 GMT
Subject: Re: FAQ-comments, div. info/questions
To: rec-music-gaffa@uknet.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

Ulrich Grepel writes:
> 4. The Magician:
>    I have the German version of that film. The song is only played once with
>    voice parts by Kate, when the magician's former girl friend arrives in
>    Warshaw (?) to be with him and his actual girl friend is not pleased by
>    the idea that he goes down to her on the street. (Dunno the names at the
>    moment.)
>    Questions:
>    a) Is the position of the sung song the same in the English version?

Yes it is. By the way, his name is Sasha (sp?) but I can't remember the
name of the character played by Valerie Perrine (sp?). It's about time I
watched it again.

> 6. Back Sides:
>    In a recent article about Kate Compilation Bootlegs there were some
>    comments about the back sides bootleg album. One of IED, Evan Walsh or
>    Ron Hill said that he thinks BS is pressed on top of another record from
>    Maria Stanmore because of hearing something at the end of TBS and the
>    LP label. Haven't you read the titles of the Maria Stanmore songs?
>    They are as following:
> [Interesting speculation deleted.]

I'm not convinced, but I enjoyed reading your reasons! It took me a while
to realise you were being serious. (You are aren't you?)

>        5. Patrick Moores Dream - A Book Of Dreams by Peter Reich is one
>           connection that comes to my mind. Who is Patrick Moore? Why

Patrick Moore is a world-renowned English, popular astronomer.

>    My comment on the mislabeling with Maria Stanmore is that this is a fairly
>    common action by bootleggers when they have to find a record press making
>    the bootleg record. They normally shouldn't know what they're doing, at
>    least not everyone. So the bootlegger claims that he has the copyrights
>    to the recordings, but that doesn't work well with too well known artists.
>    So they invent another one, in this case Maria Stanmore. The record label

My original speculation was not backed up by any sort of knowledge of the
way these things usually work. So I withdraw it and endorse your theory
instead.

/ Evan Welsh                                          <evan@ed.ac.uk> \
\ Edinburgh Parallel Computing Centre               (+44 31 650 5960) /