Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

FAQ-comments, div. info/questions

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@intellektik.informatik.th-darmstadt.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 92 17:38:28 +0200
Subject: FAQ-comments, div. info/questions
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi all, this is my first post via mail, I hope it arrives...

To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Hi all,

after re-reading the faq, I found I had to make some additions:

1. Kate's session work is not completely listed:
   In 1990 she did BVs on the title track of Roy Harper's album 'Once':

      Roy Harper - Once
      Line Records, LICD 9.00892 O, copyright 1990

   Peter Gabriels third album is availlable in a German version. Just for
   completeness: Kate's original backing vocals are used in the two songs
   'Keine Selbstkontrolle' (No Self Control) and 'Spiel ohne Grenzen'
   (Games Without Frontiers). The CD order number is: virgin xcdscd 4019,
   its name is 'peter gabriel - ein deutsches album'.

   Another recording with Peter Gabriel is 'don't give up' which is availlable
   in several versions. The video soundtracks are not the same length as
   the LP version, same for the version used on Peter's 'Shaking the Tree'
   best of. And there is yet another mix availlable on a promo version
   of 'don't give up' that is even shorter. On the promo (CD and vinyl 12")
   there are two versions: an 'edit' with 5:26 and the LP version with 6:30.
   Unfortunately the only differences I can hear are the length of the
   intro and 'extro' parts.

2. I have a video tape with Rocket Man.
   I would love to trade that (and the others I have) for other Kate videos I
   do not have, please email me to get more enlightened. (I will at a point in
   the near future have the ability to do some NTSC<->PAL conversions since a
   friend of mine is going to spend money for that Panasonic machine)

3. Books:
   For the curious: There's a German translation of 'An Illustrated Biography'
   by Paul Kerton, published by Bastei Luebbe, but already deleted:

      Paul Kerton - Kate Bush
      Die britische Rock-Sensation der 80er Jahre!
	  Mit zahlreichen Farb- und Schwarz-weiss-Fotos und kompletter Discographie

      Bastei Luebbe 60 050, ISBN 3-404-60050-9, published in 1981

   The two lines are:

      The British rock sensation of the 80s!
      With numerous color and black-and-white photos and a complete discography

   It is a paperback edition with 127 pages.

The following items have nothing to do with the FAQ, but they spinned around
my mind for quite a time, so I put them here:

4. The Magician:
   I have the German version of that film. The song is only played once with
   voice parts by Kate, when the magician's former girl friend arrives in
   Warshaw (?) to be with him and his actual girl friend is not pleased by
   the idea that he goes down to her on the street. (Dunno the names at the
   moment.)
   Questions:
   a) Is the position of the sung song the same in the English version?
   b) I imagine the following: One gets both versions of the film. One
      digitizes both. One does a FFT on both. One synchronizes the tracks.
      One takes out any frequency that is not on both tracks. One reverts
      the FFT. One has the song with much less talking over it. One is happy.
	  Does that seem reasonable?

5. Candle In The Wind:
   Look for 4 b). Then take CITW and CITW instrumental version. Get rid of
   the synthesizer. Get a better instrumental version. Mix'em up. Be happy
   again. Comments?

6. Back Sides:
   In a recent article about Kate Compilation Bootlegs there were some
   comments about the back sides bootleg album. One of IED, Evan Walsh or
   Ron Hill said that he thinks BS is pressed on top of another record from
   Maria Stanmore because of hearing something at the end of TBS and the
   LP label. Haven't you read the titles of the Maria Stanmore songs?
   They are as following:

   side a:
       1. Last Day Of The Month - replace Day with Month, Month with Year and
          you'll get December, and the song is in fact December will be...
       2. Hot And Relax - replace hot with warm, relax with soothing and you'll
          get the actual song, Warm and Soothing.
       3. A Dance For All - Waltzes are a kind of dances, and this is
          the Ran Tan Waltz.
       4. No Room To Move - isn't this what you get when you have a Full House?
       5. Nobody But Us Chickens - If a chick is alone at home, this title
          applies. If you misspell the actual title of the song as 'The Empty
          building' (as it is done on the outer sleeve), you'll get a similar
          situation.
   side b:
       1. A Bridge Too Far - this is Burning Bridge. I do not know what
          'burning' has to do with being too far (away), but...
          I've got to get closer now
       2. Maybe Later - that clearly sais 'Not This Time'
       3. Could They Be Meaning Me! - Could be connected to a handsome boy
          who is acting like if he is innocent...
       4. Don't Catch Me Out - Where is ivy growing - surely not inside
          buildings...
       5. Patrick Moores Dream - A Book Of Dreams by Peter Reich is one
          connection that comes to my mind. Who is Patrick Moore? Why
          does the bootlegger do this mistake, since the song is The Big Sky,
          not Cloudbusting? Another connection might be that there's a Henry
          Moore, sculptor, who happens to celebrate his birthday on Katemas.
          But the actual connection would surely be that Kate is dreaming
          in that song - even if it is not literally mentioned in its lyrics.
          Besides, there is a Stanford Moore (1913-1982, Am. biochem.), think
          about Marias surname...

   My comment on the mislabeling with Maria Stanmore is that this is a fairly
   common action by bootleggers when they have to find a record press making
   the bootleg record. They normally shouldn't know what they're doing, at
   least not everyone. So the bootlegger claims that he has the copyrights
   to the recordings, but that doesn't work well with too well known artists.
   So they invent another one, in this case Maria Stanmore. The record label
   of this boot obviously is 'Pink Frost Records', a typical name for these
   labels. The CD is by 'Observation Records', and not mislabeled. There is a
   Prince Bootleg CD that is labeled to be from a group called 'Funky Power
   Research', a more-or-less Princeish name...

   The other song audible at the end of TBS might be anything, perhaps a song
   the bootlegger listened to when he made the 'masters'. Some stereos are
   not able to separate inputs completely. I experienced a similar thing when
   I once made a tape for my car and searched, on another tape deck, connected
   to the amplifier, for empty tapes. The not-empty-ones can be heard on the
   tape I recorded for my car.

   BTW: The 'noise' at the end of TBS is on the CD version as well. Hence it's
   the same masters or it's a copy of the vinyl edition. You can't press a CD
   on top of another. Can't you?

   Another BTW: It would be quite accidentally if the 'original' record by
   Maria has the same length as the BS itself. And, it won't fit exactly into
   the original groove, so some needle-crashing would have to be heard.

7. Interviews:
   I have the January 1990 issue of 'Fachblatt MusikMagazin'. The title
   shows Kate and there's an interview with Kate, done by Christiane Rebmann.
   It is German, but I am curious if this interview is a translation of another
   one that is availlable somewhere else. The interview is about needing quite
   long to do an album, about using Dave Gilmour and Trio Bulgarka, about
   being inspired by books (Wuthering Heights, A Book Of Dreams, Ulyssess),
   about getting older (The Fog, 30 years of age, continuing to make music
   until 65), about making a 20 minute film and - finally - about (not)
   touring. The interview is a four page article with a few quite pink
   pictures. Since I type pretty fast, I already transcribed and translated
   it. See next messages.

   There are two other articles about TSW in German magazines I got hold of,
   but they are not interviews. Since they are rather short, I'll include them
   here:

   Hoerzu (German TV magazine) printed the following

      (a photo of - I would say - the RockPop video of RUTH or Cloudbusting)

      "Sensual World" mit Kate Bush          "Sensual World" with Kate Bush
      Nach vier Jahren Pause hat             After a four year break Kate
      Kate Bush, 31, ihre neue LP            Bush published her new LP,
      "The Sensual World" (EMI)              "The Sensual World" (EMI).
      rausgebracht. Vor allem bei            Especially in the ballads she
      den Balladen zeigt sie ihr gan-        shows her complete facete-rich
      zes facettenreiches Koennen.           skill.
      "Ich wollte ein sehr weibliches        "I wanted to make a very feminine
      Album machen", erklaert Kate.          album", Kate explains.
      Um sich nicht von Maenner-             For not getting infected by
      Energie anstecken zu lassen,           man-energy, the English woman
      tat sich die Englaenderin mit          got togehter with the
      dem Frauen-"Trio Bul-                  womans-"Trio Bulgarka".
      garka" zusammen.

   I dare say that this is a quite nothingness about Kate...

   Der Spiegel (German news magazine) was a little better:

      (Photo of Kate with seemingly short hair, a black shirt and jeans, she
      sits on the floor. The background is colorful painted (the picture is bw,
      but the same picture is used in the 'Fachblatt MusikMagazin" article)).

      Kate Bush, 31 (Foto), englische Pop-Saengerin mit einer Vorliebe fuer
      diffizile Musik, entschuldigte sich vorsorglich fuer moegliche
	  historische Missverstaendnisse. Auf ihrer neuesten Platte "The Sensual
      World" besingt sie in einem Titel "Heads we're Dancing" eine im Jahre
      1939 mit Adolf Hitler durchtanzte Nacht. Erst durch ein Zeitungsfoto
      erfaehrt die Nachtschwaermerin am anderen Morgen die wahre Identitaet
      ihres Charmeurs. Kate Bush ueber die ahnungslose Taenzerin: "Die Frau
      glaubt hernach, sie haette ihn beeinflussen und den Lauf der Geschichte
      aendern koennen, wenn sie ihn erkannt haette. Doch sie braucht sich
      nichts vorzuwerfen. Adolf Hitler hat eine Menge Leute genarrt, und ich
      glaube nicht, dass man die dafuer tadeln kann." Zu ihrem Lied inspirierte
      sie ein Freund, der von einer Begegnung mit einem witzigen und belesenen
      Herrn erzaehlte; erst hinterher habe er - erschrocken und wuetend ueber
      das Zusammentreffen - erfahren, dass er sich mit J. Robert Oppenheimer
      unterhalten hatte - dem Vater der Atombombe. "Der Teufel", singt Kate
      Bush, "ist ein charmanter Herr."

      Kate Bush, 31 (photo), English pop-singer with a fondness for complex
      music, precautiously excused herself vor possible historic
      misunderstandings. On her latest LP "The Sensual World" she celebrates in
      the song "Heads we're Dancing" dancing all night in 1939 with Adolf
      Hitler. Just through a newspaper photo she learned the true identity of
      her charmer. Kate Bush about the innocent dancer: "The woman afterwards
      believes she might have been able to influence him and change the course
      of history, if she had recogniced him. But she has nothing to accuse
      herself. Adolf Hitler has fooled a lot of people, and I don't believe
      that you can rebuke them for that." Her song was inspired by a friend who
      told her of an encounter with a funny and well-read man; only afterwards
      he learned - horrified and furious about the meeting - that he talked
      with J. Robert Oppenheimer - the father of the atom bomb. "The Devil",
      Kate Bush sings, "is a charming man."

   Unfortunately I do not have the publishing dates of those two articles, but
   they were a little bit after the TSW release (what else...).

8. Katemas birthdays:
   A few weeks ago S.C.T. Martin posted a list of events and birthdays on
   Katemas. I have two further birthdays:

   1909: Cyril Northcote Parkinson, British historian and publicist
   1898: Frans Masereel, Belgian painter and graphic artist (died 1986)

9. KT-Symbols:
   Ah, that was a relief! I thought I would never find them on NfE, HoL, TWS
   and TSW. Now I have. And now I have found them on the TSW CDs too, but
   not on all:
      The US version by Columbia does show it.
      The German version does show it.
      The Japanese (TWW box) does not show it.
      The UK (TWW box) does not show it.
      The Canadian pic disc version does not show it.
   The state of 'not showing it' refers to 'you cannot find it if you don't
   know where it is', since there are little traces of the KT symbol on all of
   them.

   I have a big (30"x30") poster of the TSW cover made out of quite thick card
   board. The picture is NOT modified at all!

10.Never for Ever:
   Is the NfE cover in the Japanese boxed set the normal Japanese one? It does
   show an excerpt from the total cover that is shown inside in the booklet in
   its complete brightness.

11.Runout messages:
   Has anyone looked at Roy Harper's 'The Unknown Soldier'? There's a
   'To Kate With Love   Roy X' engraved on side A.

12.Discography:
   Has anyone tried to compile an international discography? That is, a
   discography with all ever released international versions? I understand
   that this would be a difficult and long task, but if it seems to be
   impossible to get hold of all the disks, it might be a little bit
   interesting to know of them. For example I have an East German disk
   (no, not the early years...) simply called 'Kate Bush' where a little intro
   to Kate is given, but that one is colored to reflect the former GDRs
   government's opinions (or have you recogniced Army Dreamers as of dealing
   with youth unemployment? 'But he never had a proper education'?)

   At least there should be a discography with the non-standard collection of
   songs. I.e. not the same songs on one disc/tape than on the well-known
   albums/singles. The East German disc contains the following:

   side 1:
   Babooshka
   Delius (Song Of Summer)
   Moving/The Saxophone Song [They weren't able to separate them from the LP?]
   Hammer Horror
   Wuthering Heights

   side 2:
   Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake
   The Kick Inside
   Violin
   The Infant Kiss/Night Scented Stock [NSS too short to be a song on its own?]
   Army Dreamers
   L'Amour Looks Something Like You

   Besides: Did you know that Katemas is actually on July 11, 1958? The
   Kate-intro states so... (that is not the only error that can be found there)

Bye

Uli