Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-24 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ulrich's message

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 92 00:32:24 PDT
Subject: Ulrich's message
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

[Do not resond to me here.  Use rhill@netrun.cts.com.]

Ulrich Grepel   says:

>Hi all, this is my first post via mail, I hope it arrives...

        It did, and was one of the most interesting posts in a while!

>To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
>
>Hi all,
>
>after re-reading the faq, I found I had to make some additions:
>
>1. Kate's session work is not completely listed:
>   In 1990 she did BVs on the title track of Roy Harper's album 'Once':
>
>      Roy Harper - Once
>      Line Records, LICD 9.00892 O, copyright 1990
>
>   Peter Gabriels third album is availlable in a German version. Just
for
>   completeness: Kate's original backing vocals are used in the two
songs
>   'Keine Selbstkontrolle' (No Self Control) and 'Spiel ohne Grenzen'
>   (Games Without Frontiers). The CD order number is: virgin xcdscd
4019,
>   its name is 'peter gabriel - ein deutsches album'.
>
>   Another recording with Peter Gabriel is 'don't give up' which is
availlable
>   in several versions. The video soundtracks are not the same length as

>   the LP version, same for the version used on Peter's 'Shaking the
Tree'
>   best of. And there is yet another mix availlable on a promo version
>   of 'don't give up' that is even shorter. On the promo (CD and vinyl
12")
>   there are two versions: an 'edit' with 5:26 and the LP version with
6:30.
>   Unfortunately the only differences I can hear are the length of the
>   intro and 'extro' parts.

        I presume Kate's vocals are the same in all these different
versions of the albums and videos?

>2. I have a video tape with Rocket Man.
>   I would love to trade that (and the others I have) for other Kate
videos I
>   do not have, please email me to get more enlightened. (I will at a
point in
>   the near future have the ability to do some NTSC<->PAL conversions
since a
>   friend of mine is going to spend money for that Panasonic machine)

        I presume you are in PAL format?  I'd sure be willing to do a
trade if you'd like, as I'd KILL to see that video (people were druling
over the 40 seconds of it that I have).  Is your copy complete/good?  Let
me know when you can convert to NTSC.

>3. Books:
>   For the curious: There's a German translation of 'An Illustrated
Biography'
>   by Paul Kerton, published by Bastei Luebbe, but already deleted:

        It's supposed to suck, but I'd love to get a copy of the
_English_ version of this sometime.

>4. The Magician:
>   I have the German version of that film. The song is only played once
with
>   voice parts by Kate, when the magician's former girl friend arrives
in
>   Warshaw (?) to be with him and his actual girl friend is not pleased
by
>   the idea that he goes down to her on the street. (Dunno the names at
the
>   moment.)
>   Questions:
>   a) Is the position of the sung song the same in the English version?
>   b) I imagine the following: One gets both versions of the film. One
>      digitizes both. One does a FFT on both. One synchronizes the
tracks.
>      One takes out any frequency that is not on both tracks. One
reverts
>      the FFT. One has the song with much less talking over it. One is
happy.
>         Does that seem reasonable?

        SOUNDS GREAT!! If you are able to do this, please let me know!
(Does the German version have just _German_ speaking, I presume so...)

>5. Candle In The Wind:
>   Look for 4 b). Then take CITW and CITW instrumental version. Get rid
of
>   the synthesizer. Get a better instrumental version. Mix'em up. Be
happy
>   again. Comments?

        I don't know if this could be done, but again I would love to
hear it!

>6. Back Sides:
>   In a recent article about Kate Compilation Bootlegs there were some
>   comments about the back sides bootleg album. One of IED, Evan Walsh
or
>   Ron Hill said that he thinks BS is pressed on top of another record
from
>   Maria Stanmore because of hearing something at the end of TBS and the

>   LP label. Haven't you read the titles of the Maria Stanmore songs?
>   They are as following:

        I don't know if it got cut off or something, but these titles
were on the description, though you've added some very interesting info
that I'll add into the article.

>7. Interviews:
>   I have the January 1990 issue of 'Fachblatt MusikMagazin'. The title
>   shows Kate and there's an interview with Kate, done by Christiane
Rebmann.
>   It is German, but I am curious if this interview is a translation of
another
>   one that is availlable somewhere else. The interview is about needing
quite
>   long to do an album, about using Dave Gilmour and Trio Bulgarka,
about
>   being inspired by books (Wuthering Heights, A Book Of Dreams,
Ulyssess),
>   about getting older (The Fog, 30 years of age, continuing to make
music
>   until 65), about making a 20 minute film and - finally - about (not)

>   touring. The interview is a four page article with a few quite pink
>   pictures. Since I type pretty fast, I already transcribed and
translated
>   it. See next messages.
>
>   There are two other articles about TSW in German magazines I got hold
of,
>   but they are not interviews. Since they are rather short, I'll
include them
>   here:

        I believe the second of these small articles was previously
posted, though without the german transcription!! :-)

        Thanks alot for the large interview!  That's two in two months
that I didn't do!  As far as I know, this interview _DIDN'T appear
anywhere else.  I'm always a little wary of non-English interviews,
because it seems to me (not that I'm an expert) that the translation to
and then back from another language might produce some distortions, but
as far as I can tell from the parts that were simular to other
interviews, this didn't seem to happen to badly.

        The article itself dealt with some areas that Kate hadn't talked
about, like being attracted by the _cover_ of A Book of Dreams, of her
wanting to make a small film, etc.

        I don't know if she had interviewed Kate before or if there is
another interview from that magazine.  The info I have on articles that
aren't already transcribed isn't complete, _especially_ when it comes to
non-British interviews.  Any you could find and/or transribe would be
appreciated.

        Here's a brief list of non-British magazines that _Might_ contain
interviews.  All I know about these is that they contain _something_ kate
related, although it might not be interviews (IE reviews, adds, articles,
etc.)
Someone promised me these, but I don't know if I'll ever get them.
(yours was on the original list!)

KB314 Claviers Magazine 1982
KB315 Claviers Mag. Mar 90
KB318 EN Attendant June '78
KB319 FIESTA Nov '89
KB322 JOEPIE Nov. 89
KB397 KWIK MAG. Jan '86
KB323 Melodie ? 85
KB326 Musicien Nov. 89
KB327 MUSIEK Express Feb '83
KB383 Rock and Folk Aug '79  Never heard of this!!
KB330 Rock and Folk Dec '89
KB394 Rock and Folk Mar. '81
KB393 Rock and Folk Oct. '82

>10.Never for Ever:
>   Is the NfE cover in the Japanese boxed set the normal Japanese one?
It does
>   show an excerpt from the total cover that is shown inside in the
booklet in
>   its complete brightness.

Heres a quote from an old message from Larry H. that gives details:

_NFE_ has an interesting cover-it is a blowup of part of the cover art
which appears on other releases.  If you look at your cover, it is the
area approximately from the whale's snout go page of the booklet, you see
the normal
cover!  REally cool.

>12.Discography:
>   Has anyone tried to compile an international discography? That is, a

        There is in fact a _music-o-graphy_ in THE GARDEN [in GARDEN02]
which lists every different version of every song Kate's ever been
involved in, including minor snipits and changes as well as the
differences between the audio on various video performances.  That file
contains a simlular list on videos.

>   Besides: Did you know that Katemas is actually on July 11, 1958? The
>   Kate-intro states so... (that is not the only error that can be found
there)

        If I remember rightly, this error came from an interview with
Kate published in Flexipop magazine, it quotes Kate herself saying this.
Since it's obviously not true, either Kate was lying for some reason or
the interview is fake (possible as Kate has said that that has happened),
or they faked part of it.

--
INTERNET:  rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
UUCP:   ...!ryptyde!netlink!rhill