Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

@@@ The 1992 San Diego Katemas Party, Kate-related moviews, addendum

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 92 01:35:30 PDT
Subject: @@@ The 1992 San Diego Katemas Party, Kate-related moviews, addendum
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Console Cowboy

        Well, the San Diego Katemas 92 party has came and went.  It ended
up including only 3 people, myself, Ray Russell, and a "new" woman,
Susan, who seemed overwhelmed by all the videos and left with
Cloudbusting, The Cathy Demos, a video, and other goodies.  Ray brought
his must-see two foot model of the Cloudbuster that he sometimes mounts
to the trunk of his car! :-)

        Ray and I stayed up late, as I had rented three movies.  The
first was the 1971 British TV version of Wuthering Heights.  This is the
apparently the version that Kate walked into the end of as a child, which
inspired her to read the book, which inspired the song.  I say
"apparently" because Kate did mention that the version she saw had "a
hand coming through a window" and I don't remember that in the film.  It
started off a little slow for me, but by the middle it really got going.
I haven't read the book (hey, I'm gonna get around to it, okay :-) but I
assume this is closer to it then the older version, as it had much more
"devious" motivations and is very different from the original.  Overall,
it's a must-see.
        We also watched _The_Cruel_Sea_ (which was an inspiration for
_The_Ninth_Wave_), during which Ray fell asleep, which shows how exciting
it is!   Actually it's the scenes that focus on the people that are
boring, the "water" scenes are sometimes quite interesting.  There's a
sonar sound throughout the film that's very simular to the sound in The
Ninth Wave.
        The next day I watched _Castway_, for which
_Be_Kind_To_My_Mistakes_ was written.  It's about a woman who answers an
add to stay a year on an empty island with a man.  It co-stars Amanda
Donohue, who just left L.A. Law (she was the lesbian character).  I had
seen the beggining before Amanda joined LA Law and couldn't sit through
it.  It was more interesting this time, though not that good.  At the end
the male character said to the female character, "Be Kind To My
Mistakes".

        Oops, here are some parts I forgot from my description of my
Boston Katemas '92 trip:

        While I was transfering planes in Kansas city, I met a guy from
Bulgaria.  I asked him if he had heard of the Trio Bulgaria, of course,
he had, and he couldn't believe that I had!

        In Cambridge, Val and I saw a van that had a sign that
proclaimed.... Wait for it!... That Stephen King murdered John Lennon!
(Yes, the famous Stephen King).  It had documentary "evidence" (including
photo comparisions) and on the back it said "It's no joke, folks".  :-)

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
NetRunner's Paradise BBS, San Diego CA