Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

*** Hidden Messages on Kate's single records ***

From: rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 92 20:36:44 PDT
Subject: *** Hidden Messages on Kate's single records ***
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Comments: Console Cowboy

HIDDEN MESSAGES ON KATE'S SINGLES

        by Ron Hill, Jackie Zucconi, Saurav Misra, John M. Relph, and
Greg O'Rear.

        Compiled and edited by Ron Hill

        Do you know anything about the messages scratched on the smooth
circle just before the centre of the records?  Why are they there?
        KATE: Yes, I do know something about these messages because I
wrote them, and they are messages to go with the record.  It's something
that has been practised by several people.  In fact, have a look through
your albums, you'll probably find quite a few that you didn't even know
were there.   (1980, KBC 5)

        The messages are usually only on the originals of the singles,
not the reprints for the Single File box set.  Some of the latter
messages may be explained by crew members creating the singles putting
their own names on them.

                Wuthering Heights - "Remember The Whales".
                The Man With The Child... - "The child hides in the
light".
                Hammer Horror -  "We are all playing a hunch"
                Wow - "Thank you Emily" [Bronte?]
         Breathing --- "We all share the same air"  [Both original and
reprint]
         The Empty Bullring --- "Happy anniverary to the P's"  [The P's
could be the Picasso's.]
                Army Dreamers --- "Life is to Love"
                December Will Be --- "Happy Christmas"
                Sat in your Lap --- "Well done J. B. 1st Dan"
        [KATE: J.B. is a guy called John Barrot who certainly deserves to
be congratulated 'cause he did something very clever.  [Laughs]
        Very clever, you're not going to tell us anything further.  No?
        Nope!   (1982, Dreaming debut)

        Dans usually signify levels of achievement in various martial
arts.]

         Lord of the Reedy --- "Thank you Donovan"  [Who wrote the song,
and is rumoured to have appeared on the single]
                The Dreaming --- "for Rolf"  [Harris]
                There Goes A Tennor - "Rays" [On all copies]
                Cloudbusting --- "for Peeps"  [Nickname of Peter Reich]
                Hounds of Love --- "woof!" and mysteriously "cooperman"
                RUTH --- "Precision SRI"  I'm not sure about SRI it's
hard to see
                Under the Ivy --- "Precision SM"  which is probably what
SRI really
                This Woman's Work --- "UP yours Ugly" and "Orlake"
                [One guess is that "Ugly" refers to Vivian, the character
played by Adrian Edmondson on "The Young Ones".  There was an episode
where Vivian's mom came to visit him and generally harass him.  I think
it went something like:
Mom: "I brought you a present." (hands him a bottle of vodka)
Viv: "But it's empty!"
Mom: "Haha! Up yours, ugly!" (flips him the two-finger salute)

Since there is a direct connection between Kate->Comic Strip->Young Ones,
this is one theory.  Another is that Kate had nothing to do with this
message at all.]

                Be Kind to my Mistakes --- "Orlake"

---
rhill@netrun.cts.com (ronald hill)