Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU (News Account)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1992 17:02:28 GMT
To: rec-music-gaffa@ncar.ucar.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: richichi@lamar.ColoState.EDU (Mike Richichi)
Subject: Re: Sarah McLachlan and Sinhead O'Connor
Sender: news@yuma.ACNS.ColoState.EDU (News Account)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1992 17:02:26 GMT

In article <1992Aug13.221918.13681@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> yjc@po.cwru.edu (Jerome Chan) writes:
>Is it my imagination or does Sarah sound like Sinhead O'Connor?

No, it's not.  There definitely are similarities, but Sarah's a little
more mellow, I think, and her high notes are less harsh.

I guess I should post a review of the concert I saw last night, huh?

Well, Balloon didn't open for them, apparently all of their possessions
(equipment, passports) were stolen out of their van in LA, and thus they
won't be continuing the tour.  The opening act were a duo of Boulder
locals called Bleecker Street, a guy on acoustic guitar and another with
a washboard, coffee cans, and a kazoo who used thimbles to strike the
percussive things.  Very interesting, and he had a groove with it.  They
were a great opening band.  They played about half an hour and then they
(the crew) lit the candles and incense and the band and Sarah walked
out.

They started with "Drawn To The Rhythm," and went on through the set.
The set list was the same as mentioned before on this list, except they
omitted "Mercy" and "Ben's Song," although these were on the cue sheet
(the person next to me got it off the stage--grrr.)

Man, she was good.  I don't know why they cut those two songs from the
show, maybe her voice was still a little rough, but you really couldn't
tell from her singing.  Her backup vocalist helped a lot too, I think.
The bass player was really good, sometimes his work reminded me of John
Giblin.  She also seemed to enjoy playing around with her songs, she
turned "Steaming" into this extended thing, and in the vocal bridge in
the middle the keyboardist kept triggering samples of dance tunes
("Everybody Dance Now", and another that I didn't recognize,) and then
started playing the digital piano part of "Vogue," to which Sarah
actually imitated Madonna and sung a verse--it was a riot because she
really nailed it down.  Whereas the first 2/3 of the show was very
low-key and mellow, these last few songs (also another song off of
"Touch" whose title I can't remember--it's the 3rd or 4th song off the
disc, though) were very upbeat and really worked well to end the show.

She mentioned between songs how much Colorado reminded her of Nova
Scotia, and how that made her a little homesick.  She also said
something like "And everyone around here has puppies!  I want a
puppy..." it was really cute.

After the show, I hung around Boulder for a little, and went back to the
theatre about 20 minutes after the show and Sarah was talking to a few
people in front of the stage.  I managed to catch her as she was
leaving and thank her for the show, and she was very friendly, but on
the way out so I didn't really talk to her.  I also didn't have anything
for her to sign, oh well.

I'm definitely glad I went, it was well worth the money.  Go see her.

Mike Richichi, Dept. of Physics, Colorado State Univ.
richichi@lamar.colostate.edu  mrichich@drunivac.bitnet
"Aw, the stretching beam,  ya blurred me!" --MST3K