Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Replies on the femme-music thread

From: john@tessi.com (John Zimmer)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 92 13:58:52 PDT
Subject: Re: Replies on the femme-music thread
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

greg footahs:

>This Woman's Work -- this song is particularly interesting, in that
>the clearly male persona uses very abstract language, e.g. "this
>woman's work" for "my lover giving birth".  he even refers to himself
>in the third person ("now his part is over", "the father", etc.).

I don't have the lyrics in front of me, so I could very easily be forgetting
something important, but I always thought this song was coming from a p.o.v.
outside the couple (3rd person omniscient?).  To me the lyrics point out the
unavoidable distance imposed by biology ("now his part is over"), and the
simple fact that they're separate individuals with differing experiences, in
a very poignant way.

Both interpretations are probably valid; it wouldn't be the first time!

John Zimmer                                    john@tessi.com

        "The happy phantom has no right to bitch."