Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: kate can't produce herself?

From: katefans@chinet.chi.il.us (Chris n Vickie)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 92 13:50:34 CDT
Subject: re: kate can't produce herself?

Chris here,

Jon Drukman sez [Capitalized for Clarity (tm)],
> I just stumbled across a very interesting Kate reference in an ancient
> issue of Music Technology.  This is from the December 86 issue, page
> 33.  They're interviewing Rupert Hine who was a pretty successful
> record producer of the day, having done stuff for Howard Jones, The
> Fixx and Tina Turner.  He hasn't done a lot lately.

   Rupert started by producing his own albums, and your mention has
inspired me to dig them out of the (stacked in piles) L.P. boxes.

  BTH, there is a Rupert Hine/Kate Bush connection; in the video of
Rupert's song "Surface Tension" he is wearing the the same outfit
Kate, Paddy and the dancers were wearing in the official "The Dreaming"
video. This particular piece of haberdashery can also be seen in a guest
spot in David Bowie's video for "Ashes to Ashes" (the part where he is
at the bottom of a Geiger-esque pit.) Hard to believe that suit was
"off the rack."

   Hey, it's knowledge of pointless trivia *just like this* that
defines the *True*Kate*Bush*Fan* (and stark raving loonies.)

(Extra Points: Name the Stiff Records video that Kate appears in. Really.)

Rupert opinons-
>    By the same analogy I feel that Kate Bush, who's also
> extremely talented and an original writer and someone who's trying to
> communicate, does not produce her albums well.  She's not getting the
> best out of herself and her songs.  I'd really like to produce her,
> because I know in my heart that I could get an album that would be so
> much more communicative - and I /don't/ mean commercial.  She falls
> short so many times that it's very frustrating listening to her.
> She's a classic example of someone who lacks the objectivity to sit
> back and decide that one song is communicating well, while another
> song isn't.

    Actually, on the basis of his work on his own albums, Rupert would
be high on a fairly short list of people who could effectively produce
Kate. By that I mean help Kate create an album with improved sonic
qualities, without interfering with her music too much.

    A number of months ago, someone on .gaffa innocently mentioned that
they thought it would be neat if Kate and Donald Fagen were to work
together. I didn't respond at the time, so I will now; AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGG!
NONONONONONONONO!!! "The Donald" has been hard at work on the follow-up
to his album "The Nightfly" for nearly a decade. He works at a glacial
pace that makes Kate's rate of production look like Stock/Aiken/Waterman's.
Worse, he has monopolized the time of the brilliant digital engineer,
Roger Nichols. They spent _three months_ recording individual drum hits.

Jon again,
> personally i think kate should have produce her album or at least let
> me remix her next single.
  ^^
    "Thank you Mr. Drukman. Drop your resume and tape off with the
receptionist. We'll call you."

                              Chris Williams of
                                 Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                                    katefans@chinet.chi.il.us

P.S. A "really neat" (tm) piece of Amiga software called "Image Master"
   demos it's 2-D image morphing, (a la M. Jackson's "Black or White")
   with a picture of our beloved and some random female model.
   Kate-to-Ms.-Random, Ms.-Random-back-to-Kate. Really inspiring.
   Now to get a 24-bit image of a mule...

P.P.S. The above is Kate's second commercial Amiga demo appearance.
   A Kate pic appeared in the ads and tutorial for the "SpectraColor"
   paint program.