Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: flying pickets

From: mattd@cltr.uq.oz.au (Matthew Deshon)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1992 21:37:41 -0700
Subject: Re: flying pickets
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@cltr.uq.oz.au (Mr. Time Waster)

MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM raves about acappella groups:

>There must certainly be other such groups/instances.

The following form part of my collection, not including the ones you've already
mentioned:

Miranda Sex Garden : British 3-female group.  almost solely madrigals.

The Phones	   : Melbourne-based 5-voice male group.  Slightly offbeat, almost
		     entirely covers of rock songs (Queen, meatloaf, Police, etc)

Whim 'n' Rhythm    : 13-voice female group from Yale Uni.  Female counterpart to
		     the Whiffenpoofs.  Fabulous covers ranging from Kate Bush to
		     Broadway musicals to Andrews Sisters.  I billetted a couple
		     of members when they were here in '86, and got their album
		     then.

Singing Hoosiers   : Show choir from Indiana Uni (of course).  Do some acappella
		     stuff.  Recently did a Disney recording with the Cincinnatti
		     Pops orchestra (got a Grammy nomination).  also billetted
		     this crowd in '88.

Take 6		   : Six-voice negro male gospel group.  Some of the best blending
		     I've ever heard.  First album is the best IMHO.  Called
		     something like "Bop shoo wop".

Bobby McFerrin	   : "Simple Pleasures" broke the pop scene for this jazz artist.
		     Entirely acappella album, featuring "Don't worry be happy".

Quincy Jones	   : "back on the block" features some fabulous acappella stuff,
		     featuring Bobby McFerrin and Take 6, among others.

Singers Unlimited  : another one of Gene Puerling's groups (like the Hi-Lo's).
		     Like ManTran, but 3 guys and 1 girl.  Lots of experimenting
	  	     with overdubbing and multi-tracking vocals.

Ladysmith Black Mambazo : Most famous for recording "Graceland" with Paul Simon.
			  All male South African group, with several albums to
		     	  its credit.

Just my A$0.05 (which is about US$0.02)

matt