Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: flying pickets

From: jamcdani@zia.ucs.indiana.edu ("jennifer mc daniel")
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1992 10:58:03 -0700
Subject: Re: flying pickets
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (USENET News System)

In article <13ac5jINNjhv@rodan.UU.NET> <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
writes:

> Quite a while ago (over two years) someone mentioned a British
> a cappella group called the flying pickets.  They do covers of
> such songs as "only you" (yaz), "heard it thru the grapevine",
> "psycho killer" (particularly interesting since the bobs also
> do this one), "tears of a clown", "you've lost that loving feeling",
> and others.  I found a CD by them (W.German pressing) called "Lost
> Boys" which has all these songs, and others.

Well! Guess what I'll be looking for next time I'm in an import shop...

> This again goes to prove that if you wait long enough, you'll
> find everything on CD.  While we're on the subject, I have just
> joined an a cappella group and am particularly (though I've always
> been) interested in a cappella groups, esp. ones that are off
> the beaten track and creative (like the bobs). I've heard of many
> (including the nylons, manhattan transfer [who often are accompanied
> by instruments], roches [ditto], all the ones on spike lee's PBS
> special and spike & co. album) but would love to hear of others.
> It seems that many colleges have groups that are often great, but
> little known outside the local area.

I'd like to find "Cadillac Heaven" by what I think were the
Baltimores (any friends in rec.music.dementia who could be of
assistance?).

> (Cornell, for e.g. had the hangovers and Cayuga waiters; UofIllinois
> had one too;  I have a friend who was in the Oberlin group
> (the obertones) and I have a tape of theirs; etc.).

If I had went to MIT, I would have loved to hear a group with the
funniest (and most appropriate, considering the place) name I've
ever heard: The LogaRhythms.

> There are also
> isolated instances of traditional-instumentation artists who have
> selected songs/albums of a cappella work (e.g. Todd Rundgren, a
> capaella, Billy Joel (longest time), and even Huey Lewis (naturally),
> etc.).

"Naturally" was performed a couple of years ago by the emcees
of IU Sing, a mini-musical competition among the Greek houses
and dorms.

    Jenni McDaniel, Indiana University, Department of Psychology
"All we ever look for: a god...a drug...a great big hug." -KaTe Bush
 Big ol' IU taking the opinions of one undergrad?!? Yeah, right....