Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

flying pickets

From: <MJM@ZYLAB.MHS.CompuServe.COM>
Date: 06 Jul 92 16:27:19 EDT
Subject: flying pickets

Quite a while ago (over two years) someone mentioned a British
a cappella group called the flying pickets.  They do covers of
such songs as "only you" (yaz), "heard it thru the grapevine",
"psycho killer" (particularly interesting since the bobs also
do this one), "tears of a clown", "you've lost that loving feeling",
and others.  I found a CD by them (W.German pressing) called "Lost
Boys" which has all these songs, and others.

This again goes to prove that if you wait long enough, you'll
find everything on CD.  While we're on the subject, I have just
joined an a cappella group and am particularly (though I've always
been) interested in a cappella groups, esp. ones that are off
the beaten track and creative (like the bobs). I've heard of many
(including the nylons, manhattan transfer [who often are accompanied
by instruments], roches [ditto], all the ones on spike lee's PBS
special and spike & co. album) but would love to hear of others.
It seems that many colleges have groups that are often great, but
little known outside the local area.

(Cornell, for e.g. had the hangovers and Cayuga waiters; UofIllinois
had one too;  I have a friend who was in the Oberlin group
(the obertones) and I have a tape of theirs; etc.).  There are also
isolated instances of traditional-instumentation artists who have
selected songs/albums of a cappella work (e.g. Todd Rundgren, a cappella,
Billy Joel (longest time), and even Huey Lewis (naturally), etc.).

There must certainly be other such groups/instances.

-mjm