Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ... --- ...

From: gb10@gte.com (Gregory Bossert)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1992 12:41:56 -0700
Subject: Re: ... --- ...

Lionhearted Jackie points out:

>Interesting title eh? Since I've missed all the Love-hounds talk when
>Hounds of Love was still new I might have missed the discussion of ...
>--- ... BUT if I haven't has anyone else noticed it? What is ... ---
>... you ask? Listen to Watching You Without Me, at roughly 2:04 you
>will hear in the background morse code (... --- ...) for SOS. It's a
>small point but I didn't notice it until this morning (when feeling
>yet another aftershock BTW). It's this type of detail that I really
>miss from Kate's work, not necessarily if it's commercial or not.

mm, i can't actually remember seeing a discussion on that, but i know
at the very least that this humble footah has ranted and raved about
the UTTER BRILLIANCE of this song :)  musically and lyrically, it is an
interlude, a bit of calm in the stormy waves, but listen to the
textures KaTe (and company, with a special nod towards Jon Kelly)
layer over the simple chords and melody...  i wish i had the CD with
me, so i could accurately point out the many astoundingly lovely
details, but suffice it for me to say now that i think this song and
the entire 9th wave are the most extraordinary examples of the use of
modern studio/electronic music techniques i have yet heard, and that
includes "The Dreaming" and a *lot* of other albums :)

(to head off trivial responses, let me note that i find "The Dreaming"
to be of greater musical interest, and the the two albums are tied in
my heart for personal and emotional significance, but i think KaTe's
understanding of her tools was much greater, and her application of
them more sophisticated, on the 9th Wave)

>P.S. heheh...has S.CA angered Kate in some way? Why the tremblers
>dear?

hmm, perhaps She, angered by the comparisons between Herself and Tori
in this list, wanted to demonstrate a few BIG earthquakes...

but i suspect it is just rocks rubbing together ;)

-greg -- gb10@gte.com -- "i have never been afraid to change
			  the circumstances of the world" -- Happy Rhodes