Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Patriot Games and Kate

From: cynthia@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (Cynthia Rosas)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1992 21:22:35 -0700
Subject: Re: Patriot Games and Kate

Jonathat Whitcomb sez --

   > Gee, I thought the movie was pretty poor in general, but that's probably
   > because I can't stand Tom "who needs believable characters" Clancy.  Too
   > many inconsistancies and unresolved references.  For instance, they
   > make a big point about the woman terrorist not being Irish but never
   > explain how this English woman ever got involved with an IRA splinter
   > group.  I never cared enough about any of the characters to be concerned
   > if they were killed or not.  EVERY hunch Ryan has is correct (come on,
   > even Superman screws up occasionally).  And of course the North African
   > desert is just swarming with terrorist training camps which the CIA can
   > nonchalently wipe out via Nintendo remote control...grrr...

Well, I never read the book, but I think if you dislike Clancy's style,
you naturally wouldn't like the movie, as I read that they kept Jack Ryan
as close to Clancy'a conception of him as possible.  With every film, you
must slightly suspend your disbelief.  Look at the Indiana Jones series,
he's a hero who has not only great luck, but nearly superhuman strength
and skills, yet we believe and care about the character.

I;m not sure they made any "big point" about the woman terrorist being
English  -- it was mentioned, and in my own mind I know tha there's a lot
of Brits who don't believe in a monarchy.  I could easily conceive of an
ENglish person being willing to join forces with those she agrees with.
True they didn't delve into her motivations, but this was not her story,
it was centered around Jack Ryan and his struggle to protect himself and
his family.
 Ryan's hunches were correct, but SOMEBODY had to come up with the
solution, and he's the hero.  That's WHY he's the hero.  The guy is
supposed to be a pretty smart cookie, remember he was a CIA Analyst
previosly.  Besides, don't forget, he was aided immensely by that IRA
guy, played by Richard Harris.  He gave Ryan the evidenece he needed to
go forward.
Ass for the 'Nintendo" wipeout of the terrorist camps, I think you're
missing the point.  The point was, I believe, to show how technology has
made massive killing so sterile, we don't see blood and pain, just blips
on a computer.  Jack Ryan's reaction, the look on his face as he watched
incredulously , a bloodbath that was treated as just another button to
push on a computer - was mirroring the common man reaction of horror, and
awe.
Let's face it the whole premise is shaky.  How many guys would do what
Ryan did that got him targeted fro revenge in the first place?  So, you
suspend that disbelief and enjoy a well put togther, taut thriller.  I
certainly cared about Jack & his family, that you didn't, well, I think
you yourself admit a predisposition against the film due to the Clancy
factor.  Anyhoo, I hope people will go see it, Harrison Ford and Anne
Archer are really good in it, so is the girl who plays their daughter.

By the by, the CIA gave unprecedented assistance to the creators of this
movie, so it's also interesting from that standpoint that they allowed a
tiny peek at their methods.

Later,

Cynthia

----
Cynthia Rosas
cynthia@bsbbs.Columbus.OH.US
{n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!cynthia
The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)

"I can bitch, I can bitch, cause I'm better than you!"