Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

My favourite KaTe-quotes....

From: Scott Telford <s.telford@ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1992 02:51:54 -0700
Subject: My favourite KaTe-quotes....
To: w@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: nnews@dcs.ed.ac.uk

Well, I've finally read through both volumes of "The First Twelve
Years", so I thought you might like to see some of the more, erm,
interesting quotes by KaTe from the interviews reproduced therein....

"Some lyrics take a long time to come, others just come out like...
like... diarrhoea." [Record Mirror, 1978]

[About the Bio's Bahnhof TV show] "For 'Wuthering Heights' we had
backdrops which helped to set the scene. All those black rolling hills
with lightning bolts painted in and in the middle of it all this dirty
great big volcano!" [Record Mirror, 1978]

[About KaTe's sexuality and the TKI cover art with KaTe's legs
prominently displayed] "The picture is creating a feeling of flying and
movement. If you're up in the sky you're gonna be free. It would look a
bit wierd if I had a dirty great black serge coat on." [1978]

"But even if your work is so important to you, it's not actually your
life. It's only part of your life, so if your work goes you're still a
human being. You're still living, you can always get a job in Woolworths
or something." [Harry Doherty interview, Melody Maker,1978]

"I wonder if really beautiful punk groups [...] I wonder if they think
I'm...not so much square...ah..square, sort of oblong" [Harry Doherty
interview, Melody Maker,1978]

[About the Tour of Life plans - at that time very secret] "I *know* you
want to know. But how can I start? If I tell you one thing it'll give
everything away. It'll bugger everything up!" [John Shearlaw interview,
1978]

[About tabloid newspapers] "Hmmm. Y'see, you do a very straight
interview with these people without ever mentioning sex, but of course
that's the only angle they write it from when you read it. That kind of
freaks me out because the public tend to believe it...." [NME, 1979]

[About TV news] "Well whenever I see the news it's always the same
depressing things. Wars, hostages and people's arms hanging off with all
the tendons hanging out, y'know. So I tend not to watch it much." [NME,
1979]

[About taking a break in 1980] "It wasn't really as if I was missing out
on normality, I'd rather hang on to madness than normality anyway, so it
was more like recharging." [1980]

"There will always be some who are irritated by me. I seem to irritate a
lot of people, and in a way that's quite a good thing." [1980]

[About The Dreaming album] "But I think a load of people won't like it.
They probably won't understand what it's about." [1982]

[About "All the Love"] "I think All the Love definitely says something
...not necessarily the negative side of me but the self-pitying side.
The way you look at human beings and yourself and  think we're just a
heap of shit. If we weren't so scared of saying what we meant it would
be so much better.[...] It's just a terrible feeling, the thought of
people having gone without the right amount of feedback. I think that
really fucks people up." [1982]

[Interviewer: "I think [your music] is extremely sophisticated."] "Do
you? Sophisiticated. Well, I'd rather you said that than turd-like."
[1982]

"I have a lot of vivid dreams, most of which I can't mention." [1985]

[About recording vocals] "... the hardest thing for me is to be able to
feel relaxed enough to be uninhibited. So sometimes I do get a just a
little drunk - and other times I like to do them with Del because I feel
much more relaxed than if there's an outside engineer there..."
[Interviewer: "Can I assume you're pissed out of your head on 'Big Sky',
on the new album?"]
"Yes, I might be getting drunk on that one - the ad-libs on the end,
that was where I had to get drunk. And definitely on 'Waking the Witch'
- I was very drunk doing that." [Peter Swales interview, 1985]

[About the favourable US reviews of The Dreaming] "...it seems American
reviewers take their writing more seriously as a creative form than in
this country." [Peter Swales interview, 1985]

[About albums] "I would never break a promise. But I would like to say
that the next one should be a lot quicker." [Peter Swales interview, 1985]

"I'm left alone to work on albums. If there was any outside pressure I'd
completely go under and probably have to be put away in an institution
somewhere."  [1989]

"It's very important to try and learn to love people as much as you can
but we all get so scared. It's only when people are at a point in their
lives when they get such shocks that they take it as it really should
be. The rest of us just seem to piss about!" [1989]

[About Deeper Undertanding] "I dont have a downer on computers at all. I
think they're really good and very important" [Raw, 1989]

[About Love and Anger] "Really, it was a bugger, that song. And in some
ways I *still* don't know what I'm wanting to say. But what the
hell...."  [Raw, 1989]

"The fact is that the last time I toured was ten years ago, yet people
are *still* asking me whether I'm going to tour again. Why on Earth
haven't they given up? Why are they so patient with me?  Why do they
even care?"  [Raw, 1989]

[About being a sex-symbol] "I don't know really. I'm just small and
ridiculous! How people see me is up to them, it's not my problem."
[1989]

"There's some really bad stuff happening in pop music, isn't there?" [1989]

--
Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science, / "Can I assume you're pissed out of
University of Edinburgh, Mayfield Rd,    /  your head on 'Big Sky', on the new