Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

new love-hound

From: Mr MRS <NY911179%PACEVM.bitnet@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1992 10:48:14 -0700
Subject: new love-hound
To: mit-eddie!Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

How did I first hear about Kate Bush?  That is a good question.

First, please allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Mark Susskind.  I am
one month shy of 26 years old.  I live on Long Island, New York, and I work
in the Big Apple, which I affectionately call the Isle of New York (does it
sound like the insipid slogan "I Love New York", or what? =) ).  My title is
"Office Automation Clerk", and I work for the US Department of Agriculture.  I
am finishing a Computer Science Master's Degree at Pace University, so I guess
that I will not be among you for very much longer.  I have been listening in on
Love Hounds since the last week of March.

While I was in my undergraduate school, The State University of New York at
Stony Brook (1984-1988), I made myself quite available to the BITNET, which was
available as of 1986, in my spare time.  One time, a man from Tel Aviv, Israel,
solicited my attention with a message.  After a brief exchange, he asked me if
I like to listen to music.  I said yes.  Then he asked me if I liked Kate Bush.
In all honesty, my only experience with Kate before was a video I saw on MTV
where she sang a duet with Peter Gabriel, though I do not remember the title
of the song.  I sort-of liked the song, so I said that I did, but that I did
not know much about her, just to see what he had to say about her.  I don't
remember anything of what he said, but I was convinced that I would eventually
have to really check her out.

Then, some time in 1988 (I think), I bought the LP _The Whole Story_.  After
a few plays, I thought, "Ooh yeah!"  Early last year (1991), I bought the
cassette "The Kick Inside", and I thought, "Most definitely!"  Late last year,
I bought the CD _The Sensual World_, and after I played all three albums back
to back several times, I thought that my vocabulary was insufficient to
describe my feelings. =)

Since last year, I have been trying to look for her video tapes, but I have not
been able to come up with anything.  Are they out of print, or does everybody
want them so that supply cannot keep up with demand?

In the scope of things, I am still a novice Love Hound, but I don't expect to
improve my standing any time soon.  Still being honest, Kate is not among of my
top five favorite performers, but she is definitely among the top ten.

Sidebar:
Lately, I have begun to wonder if most of Kate Bush's fans are men.  Of the
people with whom I share music information, I estimate that 40 percent are men,
and that 80 percent of the Kate Bush fans are the men.

Tori Amos and other unKate:
Thanks for the information on Tori Amos.  I bought _Little Earthquakes_ on
Wednesday (13 May), but I haven't played the entire disc yet.  But, I think
that she sounds more like Sara Hickman (_Equal Scary People_ and others) than
Kate Bush.  Soon, I will try and work on Loreena McKennitt, Julee Cruise, Jane
Siberry, and Happy Rhodes (not much Kate lately on this list, eh?).  I have
checked out Ofra Haza, Sarah McLachlan, Enya, Annie Haslam, and 10,000 Maniacs,
and I like them all.  I think that this covers all the unKate that has been
covered on Love Hounds in which I have some interest.

Respectfully,
Mark R. Susskind - Mr. MRS
                   !!!!!!! a pseudonym to fool some ;-)
<NY911179 @ PACEVM.BITNET>