Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: fiona_mcquarrie@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca
Date: Wed, 13 May 1992 22:48:06 -0700
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Re Tori Amos' "handedness":
I'm not sure that her playing the pedals left-footed is an indication of
her handedness. I'm right-handed and I use both feet on the pedals. I
think her using her left foot is more part of the way she presents herself,
which is clearly to make as much visual contact with the audience as
possible. I found that really striking and affecting; one not-so-good
thing about playing piano is that you are condemned to facing straight
ahead, which, unless you use some pretty creative staging :), means
most of you cannot be seen by most of the audience. I remember seeing
Elton John and being royally frustrated that for a lot of a show all
I saw was his back. The second time I was smarter and sat in the part
of the arena nearest the end of the piano
BTW, hardly anyone has mentioned what a terrific piano player Tori Amos
is. She uses a lot of really interesting harmonies and dynamics, and
plays with a really beautiful flow and rhythm. It's not as apparent on
the album because of the extra instrumentation, but in concert it
's quite amazing.
Fiona McQuarrie