Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU
Date: Wed, 13 May 1992 07:12:31 -0700
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: dlk5n@jordan.math.Virginia.EDU (Daniel King)
Subject: Minnie Ripperton and Bel Canto
Sender: usenet@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU
Date: Wed, 13 May 1992 14:12:27 GMT

In article <66804@apple.Apple.COM> toc@instance.com (Tim O'Connor) writes:

>                       Minnie Ripperton
> people:
>

> Well, since we're discussing favorite female vocalists we've lost track
of I
> wonder if anyone out here in gaffa land could say a word or two about
Minnie
> Ripperton.  The only album I have with her on it is a Rotary Connection
> album I just don't listen to often enough.  In fact this is the only
place
> I've ever heard of her tho' her name sounded awfully familiar when I
first
> picked up the album.  Any info?

Minnie Ripperton had a popular song in the mid seventies called
"Loving You."  Sadly just a year after her first and only album
she died (I believe of cancer).  Her album found much praise
and I remember people comparing her talent (including her five octave
range evident on "Loving You") with that of Barbra Streisand.

When you mention the album "Rotary Connection" it did not
ring a bell.  So I'm not at all sure that you are talking
of the Minnie Ripperton that I know.  Unless she has been
reincarnated :-)

On a different note has anybody heard of Bel Canto?
My friend in Geneva says this is a Norwegian duo that
might be of interest to love-hounds.

Dan King