Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Objectionable" things

From: danm@watson.ibm.com (Dan McCabe)
Date: Wed, 13 May 1992 18:05:26 -0700
Subject: Re: "Objectionable" things
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Disclaimer: This posting represents the poster's views, not necessarily those of IBM
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@watson.ibm.com (NNTP News Poster)

In article <67040@apple.Apple.COM>, MTARR@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU writes:

|> Hi!
|>
|> Interestingly, I notice there hasn't been much chatter on the music
lists I'm
|> on about the impending law going into effect in Washington State in
June making
|> it a felony for record stores to sell "objectionable" music to
minors.  What
|> will be deemed objectionable is literally going to be up to the
musical tastes
|> of the judges who deal with the individual cases.  This is
censorship, folks,
|> pure and simple- people out there from Washington, what's going on to combat
|> this despicable law???
|>

|> If you just look at lyrics to decide what kids under 18 are allowed to buy,
|> Tori's long gone- never mind Kate!!!  I hope enough record stores get nailed
|> with this to completely block up the legal system, and do it so badly that
|> people realize just what a stupid thing it is and repeal it as soon as
|> possible.  Of course, with things as they are the Supreme Court probably
|> wouldn't overturn it on Constitutional grounds... grrrr.
|>

|> Sorry to rant, I'm just wondering if people are aware of what's going
on in our
|> country.  I welcome clarifications on this matter from people who
live in the
|> area- my information is solely from a Boston Globe article from a
week or so
|> ago.
|>
|>   ======================================================================
|>   |Meredith Tarr                      "Get to the point you sappy wimps|
|>   |Wesleyan University                 I haven't got a lifetime        |
|>   |Middletown, CT                      Simplicity is beauty            |
|>   |USA, Earth                          Are there poets less sublime?"  |
|>   |mtarr@eagle.wesleyan.edu                            -Happy Rhodes   |
|>   ======================================================================

There has been quite a bit of discussion regarding the Washinton State law
in rec.music.alternative and rec.music.industrial. If you read past postings
in these groups, you won't find too many positive comments regarding the law.

Since I am no longer a voter in Washington, I can't let my ballot do my talking
for me. I seem to have this habit of living in states where certain folks think
that they know what's best for me. Of course, I cast my vote against
Jesse Helms
in my previous residence and look where it got me.

Cheers,
danm

Censorship - Just Say No! (;-)