Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KATE CHORDS

From: ulf@napoleon.c3consult.comm.se (Ulf Lagerstedt)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1992 11:12:08 -0700
Subject: Re: KATE CHORDS
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Dresent-Date: Wed, 6 May 1992 18:12:08 GMT
Fresent-From: <news>
Mresent-Message-Id: <9205061712.AA29752@julius>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@c3consult.comm.se

nmehl@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (Nathan J. Mehl) writes:

> In article <66401@apple.Apple.COM> colb@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU (Colin Burvi
> >
> >Listing through my (complete) KB album discography recently, I noticed
> >that the shrill sounds of her early voice became almost
> >a (low end) whisper by her last release (this woman's work??),
> >so much so that she had to import backing singers.
> >
> >What happened to her voice?
>

>       She smokes.
>
> Take a beautiful, well-tuned soprano voice.  Add tobacco.  Let marinate
> for several years.  Turn out onto a pan, and you have... nothing.  It's
> a damn shame.

Another sad example is Joni Mitchell. She once had a voice of pure magic;
now it is just a pale hiss. Of course, aging always effects the voice, but
I'm sure her smoking habits contributed a lot of the damage. It is of some
comfort that records don't suffer as much from aging. :-)

--
Ulf Lagerstedt                  "When the grammar checker identifies an error,
Communicator C3Consult           it suggests a correction and can even makes