Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KATE CHORDS

From: mdc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (Melissa D. Caldwell)
Date: Fri, 1 May 1992 17:02:35 -0700
Subject: Re: KATE CHORDS
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

nmehl@rm105serve.sas.upenn.edu (Nathan J. Mehl) writes:

> In article <66401@apple.Apple.COM> colb@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU (Colin Burvi
> >
> >Listing through my (complete) KB album discography recently, I noticed
> >that the shrill sounds of her early voice became almost
> >a (low end) whisper by her last release (this woman's work??),
> >so much so that she had to import backing singers.
> >
> >What happened to her voice?

> Well, the shrillness dropped off partly because of aging.  She was, after all
> sixteen when TKI was recorded.  However, there's another, sadder reason why
> she's lost her high end and has become addicted to reverb:

>       She smokes.

> Take a beautiful, well-tuned soprano voice.  Add tobacco.  Let marinate
> for several years.  Turn out onto a pan, and you have... nothing.  It's
> a damn shame.

You forgot the third ingredient... disuse.  Vocal cords
can atrophy with disuse.  With each of the last 3 albums taking
3-4 years to finish, it's not surprising that her voice sounds
different.  I don't think that she spent all of that time
singing. :-)

She is still able to hit the high notes, but it's a much
breathier sound.  The notes in her lower range are probably
just more comfortable to sing.

 Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
 The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
 {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc           I was looking at the Big Sky
 mdc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us