Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mark Coleman's (US) Tori Review

From: saurav@tgevax.life.uiuc.edu (Saurav Misra)
Date: Sun, 3 May 1992 18:16:39 -0700
Subject: Mark Coleman's (US) Tori Review
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Thanks to Melissa Caldwell for posting Mark Coleman's review of Little Earth-
quakes in Us magazine (A true rag, that). Although I found his comments some
what exaggerated, I think hthere is some basis to what he said. I am a bit
surprised at the total appreciation Little Earthquakes is getting on gaffa -
are we suffering a bit much from "Lack o' Kate "syndrome? I personally
have to stifle a laugh myself when Ms. Amos sings "give me life, give me pain,
give me myself again" - for some reason the rhythm reminds me of Metallica's
"Leper Messiah", aside from the fact that it might just be a bit silly in its
own respect. Also, I think all of "Crucify" is a bit cliched - the whole
crucifixion theme is somewhat hackneyed, and her lyrics are a bit too spare
to let me see it from a new angle. Having said all that, I label myself a
hypocrite and assert that I LOVE "Silent all these years"....
   Thanks to assorted persons for the Loreena McKennit info; I got my hands
on a copy of "The Visit" and like it very much....
   To Ben Haller: Are you sure you're mature enough to drink? I don't know,
I don't mean to flame you, but fascism is a term that is bandied around too much
by people who don't understand the full implications. I got two copies of "Maus"
reserved for ya in your favourite bookstore...
saurav misra
(saurav@tgevax.life.uiuc.edu)

-"True love and other short stories"