Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mark Coleman's (US) Tori Review

From: larry@csccat.cs.com (Larry Spence)
Date: Sun, 3 May 1992 22:09:50 -0700
Subject: Re: Mark Coleman's (US) Tori Review
To: uunet!rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <66518@apple.Apple.COM> saurav@tgevax.life.uiuc.edu (Saurav Misra) writes:

>Thanks to Melissa Caldwell for posting Mark Coleman's review of Little Earth-
>quakes in Us magazine (A true rag, that). Although I found his comments some
>what exaggerated, I think hthere is some basis to what he said. I am a bit
>surprised at the total appreciation Little Earthquakes is getting on gaffa -
>are we suffering a bit much from "Lack o' Kate "syndrome? I personally
>have to stifle a laugh myself when Ms. Amos sings "give me life, give me pain,
>give me myself again" - for some reason the rhythm reminds me of Metallica's
>"Leper Messiah",                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Her metal-rocker-babe past coming back to haunt/influence her... %)

>aside from the fact that it might just be a bit silly in its
>own respect. Also, I think all of "Crucify" is a bit cliched - the whole
>crucifixion theme is somewhat hackneyed, and her lyrics are a bit too spare
>to let me see it from a new angle. Having said all that, I label myself a
>hypocrite and assert that I LOVE "Silent all these years"....

I went to see her Thursday and was impressed by her piano playing and perso-
nality, but wondered if I would like the CD without the stage presence.
Well, I heard a couple of tracks today and was underwhelmed, it sounded more
Kate Lite than the live show (which was piano/voice only).  So I'm in the odd
situation of having enjoyed the concert yet not likely to buy the CD.  I saw
a cutout copy of _LE_ today but got Wiseblood _Pedal To The Metal_ instead. %)

Since there are knowledgeable Tori fans here, how much is her metal-rocker-
babe out-of-print CD worth?  I've seen at least one copy in a cutout bin.

--
Larry Spence
larry@csccat.cs.com