Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori Amos reviewed by _US_ magazine

From: mdc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us (Melissa D. Caldwell)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1992 20:41:36 -0700
Subject: Tori Amos reviewed by _US_ magazine
To: love-hounds@wiretap.spies.com

The following article appeared in the May issue of _US_
magazine.  It is the first unfavorable review that I have
heard/seen of Tori's _Little Earthquakes_.

-------
This review was written by Mark Coleman for _US_ magazine...

"Give me life, give me pain," requests Tori Amos on the title
track of her volcanically overblown solo debut album.  Give us a
break!  The fact that Amos owns a distinctive, rangy voice and
credible literary bent only magnifies the problem.  She's an
attractive, if half-formed talent shoved into the soul-baring
glare of the singer-songwriter spotlight.  _Little Earthquakes_
erupts in a meticulously produced lava barrage: supercharged
Freudian imagery, swooping string arrangements, scat-singing
riffs, corpulent rock guitar discharges, "reflective" me-and-my
piano passages.  And that's just on one song.

-------

IMHO, the only good thing about this review was that Mr.Coleman
didn't compare Tori to Kate.  He probably doesn't even know who
Kate Bush is!  It's pretty clear from the other reviews in
this issue that his tastes run more with the mainstream. Wynona
Judd and En Vogue both received very favourable reviews, as did
Tracy Chapman. (though I wouldn't exactly consider her
mainstream.)

 Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
 The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
 {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc           I was looking at the Big Sky
 mdc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us