Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Archery in RUTH

From: lionhart@netlink.cts.com (Jackie Zucconi)
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1992 23:54:26 -0700
Subject: Archery in RUTH
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Well, I haven't fug up the direct quotes (Ron! I think we need you!) but
there was some mention about active and passive forces being equated with
males and females, this idea I think was stated by Jay?? But I would like to
mention an interesting idea that was prevelent in the Middle Ages about
using the bow and arrow as a metaphor (most commonly with regard to
religion). It seems that they would use the idea of the bow as religion as
written in scriptures, something that was rigid and the populace must
follow. The string of the bow was depicted more as the spirit, something
that could bend and move as necessary in order to follow the correct path of
God. These connections started working out in my head as I studied WOlfram
von Eschenbach's _Parzival_ in which I noticed another pecular coincidence.
In reference to God there is the quote "...he offers Love and Anger." I'm
trying to see if this fits in anyway to Kate's song. Probably not but then
again how well does she know Arthurian Legend??
                            --- Lionheart

--
INTERNET:  lionhart@netlink.cts.com (Jackie Zucconi)
UUCP:   ...!nosc!ryptyde!netlink!lionhart