Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

conversation with chris

From: stern@chem.nwu.edu (Charlotte Stern)
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1992 07:38:12 -0700
Subject: conversation with chris
To: ecto@ns1.rutgers.edu
Cc: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

I spoke to chris williams last night.  I'm not sure if vickie was
there, but i didn't ask to speak to her.  It appears that she is
working somewhat and hopefully will be more soon.

They are going to see Tori at Shuba's tonight... unfortunately I can't
make it but we will compare notes with the show I see in Mpls. Sun.

They have not seen the Tori MTV thing but they did see the letterman
set (which I missed).

I caught Sarah on Miller's show last night, airing in Chgo at 2AM on
channel 9.  Man, is it a matter of time for this show, or what?
Anyway, she did ITF, almost exactly as she did in concert,
with full band.  Hell, they were even wearing the same CLOTHES!!!!
She looked quite good, although there weren't any *real* close ups.
Miller was quite dorky when he thanked her a few times and she it
was great, etc.

Chris had some interesting theories about silent all these years' video.
He thought that there were three Kate references (none of which had
occurred to me, natch).
1)  The box.  This is a reference to the American Kick Inside cover.
2)  The shoes.  Those wild high heel shoes Tori wears are supposed to
    be identical to ones Kate wore in the secret Dutch videos.
3)  The frame.  The way Tori frames her face with white is a reference
    to the Hounds of Love cover, which in turn is derived directly from
    Windham Hill-like covers.  Chris said around the time of Hounds
    of Love completion, someone in LA sent Kate the entire Windham
    Hills catalog.  If you notice, their covers are always lots of white
    bg with simple geometric shapes.  Kate was apparently influenced
    by this in her choice of HoL cover.

He also mentioned that part of the SATY video reminded him of the Kate
video for HoL (I think it was that one).

One last thing.
Dennis Miller described Sarah as "Canada's answer to Kate Bush."
It always shocks me when I hear stuff like this.  First off, I bet
98.2% of the 7 people watching this show who had not heard of
Sarah, had not heard of Kate either.  Second, I wonder if Miller
even knows who Kate is?  This just further supports the theory that
any female slightly alt artist is instantly stapled to Kate.
Silly, ain't it.

-mjm     "do you like or love either or both of me"