Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rocket's Tail

From: jessica@maurolycus.rutgers.edu (jessica)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1992 10:56:23 -0700
Subject: Re: Rocket's Tail
To: rec-music-gaffa@rutgers.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

tneely@mwc.vak12ed.edu (Thomas F. Neely) writes:

>original inspiration was, the song strikes me as concerning
>self-destructive behavior committed in order to gain someone's
>love/attention.  The singer's persona can see that the other
>person is enraptured by the sight of a rocket, while to her it
>is just a stick on fire.  But in order to impress that person,
>she will figuratively become a rocket, only to learn too late
>that she is going to crash with her tail on fire.

Hmm, I've always had a different interpretation of the song.
I thought it was about seeing another person's awe of the rocket,
and not understanding it, being more cynical and practical..

But then, thinking about it gets to you, and you try it, wanting to
see what it is the other person sees - and loving it ("Was it me said
you were crazy?". I've always the thought the "Look at me go with my
tail on fire, tail on fire" sounded like she was having a great time
:)

>worth...  This is the first time I've posted, so please be kind.

:) I certainly didn't mean this as a criticism or flame, just my
different viewpoint.

>Tom Neely

     			jessica

--
|| jessica  || It is this that || Don't try to tell me there's no reason for ||
|| lawrence ||    brings us    || any moment in time, every memory of mine.  ||