Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Brazil/Kate Quality

From: wiltel!dlocke@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1992 05:16:34 -0700
Subject: Brazil/Kate Quality
To: uunet!eddie.mit.edu!love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Illegal-Object: Syntax error in Message-Id: value found on wiretap.Spies.COM:Message-Id: <9204221216.AA04232@wtg58> ^-missing newline (LF)

As requested, here's the Terry Gilliam side of "how many versions of "Brazil"
are there?"

Brazil -- from "Laserviews", April/May 1992, p20-21:

	...He [Terry Gilliam] firmly believes that a film should be a
constantly evolving, ongoing work-in-progress, which is why the
laser disc format holds such a fascination for him.  "One of the
things I love about laser," he says, "is that it's kind of a
second chance.  For instance, there are actually *five* versions
of "Brazil" in existence, somewhere in the world!  There's the
European *cinema* version, the European *video* version, which
is the longest and darkest of all the versions because I put a
scene back in:  after (Jonathan Pryce) goes to bed with Jill, they
go flying off in his dream.  He wakes up the next morning, and, in
the American version, he's arrested immediately and hauled away.
In the English version and in the video version, there's a scene
right there with her that I cut out at the last moment simply because,
even under the best conditions, there's a tremendous amount of
pressure near the end of a film's (post-production) preparation to
make it shorter...and I missed it, so when we did the video version,
I put it back in.  Then there's the American cinema version, which
at 131 minutes - is still the shortest version and then there's the
fabulous Sid Sheinberg, Universal version that was eventually put out
on syndicated television!"
..	"The point is," he adds, "there really *are* five different
versions of "Brazil and, in a strange way, I like that.  There's
this side of me, sort of an admission that there's nothing perfect
in this world.  The ending in the American version I especially like
and I'd love to have the opportunity to put them all together on a
new laser disc version of 'Brazil'".

Kate Quality:

Still haven't heard anything from anyone on Kate CD vs. LP quality,
etc.  I know you "golden ears" types are out there, let me hear
from you!

-Dick