Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: USENET News System <news@dmi.ens.fr>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1992 02:20:24 -0700
To: rec-music-gaffa@corton.inria.fr

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: espie@basilic.ens.fr (Marc Espie)
Subject: Re: the size of Europe
Sender: news@ens.fr (USENET News System)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 92 09:20:18 GMT

In article <65682@apple.Apple.COM> justin@crim.ca (Justin Bur) writes:

>> Keep in mind that Europe is tiny; France being the size of Texas and
>> all.
>
>tiny in area (and then only if you're looking at the European Community
>and not much else).  size of Texas - in area, not in population.  The
>entire population of Texas fits into the Paris metropolitan area.  Both
>France and Britain have populations between 55 M and 60 M.  Germany is
>about 70 M.  Those three countries alone have three-quarters of the US
>population among them.
>
>there's a whole world out there, beyond the borders of the USA...

and then, don't forget that KaTe happens to be kwown elsewhere, like in
Japan for instance.
Take Kate as Just An Example of everything the United States are missing.
When I was in California, I felt like I was immersed in a very small subset
of musical genres... not much that is good and does not cross the Ocean.
On the other hand, there is a HUGE, almost unscalable barrier the other
way round. Anything that is not english-speaking has no chance at all.
KaTe, being what she Is and Everything, had to cross one day, but please
do not underestimate Europe. Americans have their strong points. One of
their weakest is a tendancy to feel the rest of the world is insignificant.
:-)

--
     Marc Espie (espie@ens.fr)
`In Unix, no one can hear you scream.