Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Backmasking in Leave it Open

From: kyrlidis@athena.mit.edu (Angelos Kyrlidis)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1992 08:51:06 -0700
Subject: Re: Backmasking in Leave it Open
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)

In article <65626@apple.Apple.COM> cutter@silver.lcs.mit.edu (Faux Joe) writes:
>Keep in mind that Europe is tiny; France being the size of Texas and
>all.  To say that she's "very popular" is silly; if you consider being
>the object of ridicule and derision in the press as well as popular
>belief that she's totally 'round the bend as "very popular" ,then OK;
>she's very popular.  However, there are many MANY artists who chart
>more consistently and more frequently that Kate.
Well according to my world atlas Europe is bigger than the US and has
about three times the population. I was refering to numbers of KaTe fans
per square mile...:)

>I get the feeling that she's viewed there somewhat like, say, Devo is
>here - been around a while, had some hits, kinda arty, a new album
>shows up every once in a while and people go "oh yeah them", but
>mostly they're considered totally whacko.

I think (know)  KaTe is perceived as the female Peter Gabriel in Europe.

>I'm AMAZED if WFNX or WBCN or even WZBC or WMBR play her at ALL.
>Occasionally WFNX will play _Running Up That Hill_.
Bzzzt-wrong! I have heard all sorts of KaTe, from 'Babooshka' to
'The Dreaming', and from 'RutH (live)' to 'The sensual world' on WFNX.

>>You want obscure cult figures, try Happy Rhodes.
>

>No thanks, I had some last week and it gave me gas.  :)
See, she *is* an obscure cult figure, some people can't handle her. :)

>* Anyway, the point I was simply making was that people were reading a *
>* LOT into the "secret message", and that I was hoping we WOULDN'T get *
>* into the same flame war we've had so many times before.  Flame wars  *
>* are only cool if it's new ground...                                  *
I agree with that.  Flame wars are so cliche' in .gaffa. I wonder what the
next one will be about. :)

Angelos
-------
Between thought and expression lies a lifetime - Lou Reed