Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Backmasking in Leave it Open

From: Dike Nixon <cutter@silver.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1992 14:16:30 -0700
Subject: Re: Backmasking in Leave it Open
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu

In article <65318@apple.Apple.COM> s.telford@ed.ac.uk (Scott Telford)
writes:
[deleted]
> Actually, if you play the track backwards it sounds a
> lot like "They said they were very ill..." which may or may not be
> coincidence (hmmm...maybe it is a secret message after all....8^)

Argh.  Good grief people, isn't this in an FAQ list somewhere in the
archives?

Kate has stated publicly on numerous occasions that "We let the
weirdness in" is the ONLY message there.  Anything you hear when you
play it backwards is your own delusion.  Capische?

Actually, though, most people said they heard it as "and they said
they wouldn't let me in", which fueled a lot of pretty lame
interpretation that this was Kate was making a comment about the
recording industry that wouldn't let her be famous; I think it was
pretty indicative of people's inability to accept Kate as the more or
less obscure cult figure that she really is.  IMHO.

In other news...

Saw the Cranes last night.  The lead singer's voice is higher than
Kate or Harriet Sunday combined.  I was impressed.

Opening for them was Belly, Tanya "Don't call me ex-Throwing Muse"
Donelly's new band.  This was their first show ever anywhere.  WOW.
Good stuff.  Noisy, quiet, melodic, atonal, but mostly weird.  "Expect
an album in September," said Ivo Watts-Russel, chief famous person
from Britain's 4AD Records, who was attending the gig.

/joe

"That's the great thing about America -- the freedom for everyone to
 fly MY way" - Tiny Toons