Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

STuff

From: rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1992 21:51:56 -0700
Subject: STuff
To: Love-Hounds@wiretap.Spies.COM

        Dick, if you could post that info on Brazil, I'd really appreciate
it.  I haven't felt this frustated about "multiple versions" since I found
out that The Beatle's albums had fewer songs on the American albums!  :-)

        In _Be_Kind_To_My_Mistakes_, Kate sings:

It is this that brings us together.

        Does anyone have any ideas what "it" is?  Is she refering to the
fact that they both make mistakes, or that they don't know each other, or
what?  Like many Kate songs, I have trouble relating the "chorus" to the
rest of the songs.

        On Babooshka and grandmothers, Kate has this to say:

*       "Babooshka", which was a surprisingly big hit after quite a slow
start, it did take a little bit of time didn't?
        Yes, it did.  It was climbing up there quite slowly at the front,
yes.
        And the story behind "Babooshka" very quickly because everyone was
saying it's Russian for grandmother, yes?
        Yes, well apparently it is grandmother, it's also a headdress that
people wear.  But when I wrote the song it was just a name that literally
came into my mind, I've presumed I've got it from a fairy story I'd read
when I was a child.  And after having written the song a series of
incredible coincidences happened where I'd turned on the television and
there was Donald Swan singing about Babooshka.  So I thought, "well, there's
got to be someone who's actually called Babooshka."  So I was looking
through Radio Times and there, another coincidence, there was an opera
called Babooshka.  Apparently she was the lady that the three kings went to
see because the star stopped over her house and they thought "Jesus is in
there."  So they went in and he wasn't.  And they wouldn't let her come with
them to find the baby and she spent the rest of her life looking for him and
she never found him.  And also a friend of mine had a cat called Babooshka.
[He laughs]  So these really extraordinary things that kept coming up when
in fact it was just a name that came into my head at the time purely because
it fitted.   (1980, Never For Ever Debut)

        I always like it somehow when she says "fitted".  :-)

Ron Hill

--
INTERNET:  rhill@netlink.cts.com (Ron Hill)
UUCP:   ...!nosc!ryptyde!netlink!rhill