Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KATE'S GRANDMA....?

From: kyrlidis@athena.mit.edu (Angelos Kyrlidis)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1992 07:27:18 -0700
Subject: Re: KATE'S GRANDMA....?
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)

In article <65369@apple.Apple.COM> u907295@bruny.cc.utas.edu.au (Scott Keene) writes:
>I just happened to notice in my Russkiy Slovar the other day that "BABOOSHKA"
>  is Russian for "GRANDMOTHER".  Is this common knowledge?
'Babooshka' was the reason I got into KaTe! And although I liked 'Wuthering
Heights' when I heard it for the first time in 1979, I didn't buy TKI.
But since my grandmother was teaching me Russian at the time, when I heard
'babooshka' on the radio I ran and bought NFE. Of course, there was
another association. 'Ya ya' in greek also means grandmother! :)
So to me the refrain was
'All yours, grandmother grandmother grandmother, grandmother' :)

Technically speaking though, in Russian, grandmother is BA'-booshka, and
not baBOO'shka the way KaTE sings it...

Angelos