Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori in Rolling Stone-Apr. 30

From: rtimko@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Roger M Timko)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1992 14:42:55 -0700
Subject: Tori in Rolling Stone-Apr. 30
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

Hi all. Thought I'd be the first to copy the Tori Amos clip in the "New
Faces" section of Apr 30 ROLLING STONE. And wow, not a mention of Kate in
the whole article...I think this is a first! Also as a rather large close-up
shot of a very Kate-ish Tori (must be those lips...).

              TORI AMOS - ETHEREAL EARTHQUAKES
                    by Elysa Gardner

	"You write different stuff when you're thirteen than you do when
you're twenty-eight", says the singer-songwriter Tori Amos, who is the
latter. "But I'll tell you, I was more on at thirteen than I sometimes was
at twenty-one!" Amos has been playing the piano virtually all her life and
writing songs for almost as long, but as a young adult she began to question
her artistic aspirations. "I think I really got afraid of it", she says,
"afraid of playing, afraid of showing my guts. I just kind of went somewhere
else for a while."
	She didn't stay away for long, though. While her 1988 album debut,
a bid for hard-rock following called "Y Kant Tori Read", was a critical and
commercial flop, Amos emerged this year with "Little Earthquakes", a collection
of introspective piano-laced ballads that are better suited to her ethereal
voice. They're also truer to her musical origins - influenced by a father who
is a Methodist preacher and a mother who harbors a fondness for show tunes
and other pop standards.
	The subject matter on "Little Earthquakes" ranges from the general
romantic frustration suggested on "Crucify" to the shockingly specific
sexual violence recounted on "Me and a Gun". "Even if I'm just observing
something", Amos explains, "I'm involved in it, because I'm seeing it from
my own perspective."
	Having already won over critics and fans in England, Amos will face
American audiences in April. While she looks forward to performing live and
describes her performance style as "confrontational", Amos admits she's not
immune to stage fright. "You can become so small, so intimidated", Amos says.
"But then you crawl through the wall you've created for yourself, and you come
out on the other side as this really big giant. And you go, 'God, they don't
make any decent clothes in this size!' "

Martin Timko                           *  "There is thunder in our hearts"
rtimko@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu       *                      -Kate Bush