Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori Amos CD-EP

From: farrellj@aqua.pc.ocunix.on.ca (Farrel McGovern)
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1992 16:57:38 -0700
Subject: Tori Amos CD-EP
To: love-hounds@eddie.mit.edu

Hi!

  I was down at a local alternative record store, and the manager, who is a
friend of mine recommended the Tori Amos album, since we are both KB fen.
So, not having enough to buy the album, I got the "Winter" CD-EP...this has
said song, as well as some wild covers...The Stones "Angie"...the sexual
over tones in this almost makes one wonder about Tori's gender preferences
:-). But you gotta love that cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit"!  Same
speed, different tempo. The final cover, Led Zep's "Thank You", the first t
time I listened to this...I had tears in my eyes when it was finished. Wow!

  On the Kate side of things...just wanted to mention that I really liked
the instrumental version of "Candle in the Wind"...but then again, I also
like Tangerine Dream.

   On other things....

   I first saw Sarah McLachlan about 4 years ago on Canada Day. I went up to
Moslon Park in Barre Ontario to see one of these mega summer concerts...and
the first act was Sarah...this short woman walked out with a Martin
12-string, and with the band started singing...and it was totally amazing! I
didn't know who she was before I went, but I was sure who it was by the end
of her set! She even covered two Peter Gabriel Tunes...Solsbury Hill, and I
know What I Like...." by Genesis. Every time I have seen her in concert, and
that makes 3 times, she has covered a interesting tune...Georgia,  the
second time, and a song by Talk Talk  the last time I saw her a few months
back. She is a zillion times better in concert that on disc. She recently
was on the JUNO Awards (Canada's equiv. of the Grammies), where she
performed, and recieved a JUNO for Best Video for (I think) "Into the Fire",
but don't quote me on that :-). I did get her performance on video, though.

  The other Celtic Goddess who performed at the awards was Loreena
mcKennitt, who did a shortened (But still the longest performance of the
show) version of "The Lady Of Shalott". It was prefaced by a cello solo by
Ophra Haze, who has been working on popularizing modernized clasical music
on classical instruments...then the sole spot on Ophra turned off, and the
partition rose revealing Loreena's band, and the spot when on Loreena who as
seated about a dozen feet to the right of Ophra...and she opened her mouth
and that increadable voice came out. Further proof that if the Angels have
angelic voices, they are almost certainly Celts....if Loreena, Sarah, Enya
and Kate are any indication!

   Well, I gotta go...hope this makes it in!

Blessed Be,
     Farrell