Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Help on Mailing lists (creating ML for enya)

From: ml@vcp1.vcp.monash.edu.au
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1992 21:51:02 -0700
To: <love-hounds@WIRETAP.SPIES.COM>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa, rec.music.misc
Sender: news@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Usenet system)

G'day,

I'm after some help.

I'm seriously considering setting up mailing list for information and articles,
ect. about enya.  Articles and discussion on rec.music.newage are getting a
little on the mundane side with regard to enya - always the same questions
being asked.  Hopefully a mailing list would lessen the mundane messages and
quell passions and flames and the same time. (There is a proposal to create a
rec.music.enya newsgroup but somehow I don't think it will succeed as there
might not be enough users dedicated to carry the newsgroup on.  But I might be
wrong.  It has not yet gone to a vote.)

However, I need to know more before I decide on whether I should do it or not.

The questions are:

1.  What is involved in this?  I understand what usually is required is a file
for all the users for the mailing list and an area for articles, information,
ect.

2.  How much time does it usually take up?

3.  How much disk space is usually required?  And how does fast does disk space
required increases over a period of time?

4.  Are mailing lists usually automated?  That is, does one have to write a
program (or programs) for this?  Or are the mailing lists usually FTP sites?

5.  What are the usual restrictions, conditions, whatever, put on to
subscribers in the mailing list?  Are there usually any?

I ask this in the hope that people who manage 'Love-Hounds' and 'The Garden'
(they are mailing lists, aren't they?) could give some advice on this.  As you
could see, I'm not very knowledgable about mailing lists.  But anyone will do.

I do get very busy at times and the thought of subjecting myself to this and
then realise that it's too much and then later regret ever taking it on in the
first place, unnerves me.

So, please send advice via e-mail, to the address:  ml@vcp.monash.edu.au

Oh, yes.  And one last thing.... I do LOVE her music:  it's so soothing!

Cheers,
Mik.

*    Mik Lipcsey, Computer Systems Officer, Victorian College of Pharmacy,    *
*         Monash University, 381 Royal Parade, Parkville, Australia.          *
* Aarnet:  ml@vcp.monash.edu.au  *  'Open the Pod Bay Door, please, HAL' 2001 *
* I am home, I know the way,             \_____---- 'Evening falls...' (1988) *
* I am home, feeling, oh, so far away... /                   Roma Ryan & Enya *
* For so great a treasure, words will never do... ---------- 'Angeles' (1991) *