Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Brazil x3 x4

From: "Andy Gough, x4-2906, pager 420-2284, CH2-59" <@hermes.intel.com:AGOUGH@AZ.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1992 16:10:00 -0700
Subject: Brazil x3 x4
To: Love-Hounds@eddie.mit.EDU

>From: jondr@sco.COM (Karen Silkwood's car)
>Subject: Re: Brazil
>Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1992 21:55:32 GMT
>ganzer@cod.nosc.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer) writes:
>>It's  been  years since I since I saw the laser-disk  version  at
>>Andy Marvick's house in LA. I do remember the movie was well over
>>2 hours in length, thus I do think this was the "director's cut",
>>since  one  of  the  battles that Gilliam had  was  the  studio's
>>insistance on getting the movie under 2 hours in length
>
>ARRRGGGGHHH!
>
>Once more, hopefully for the last time.  There are THREE existing versions,
>and this is the definitive reading on where they are and what they consist
>of:
>
>The euro version is only available as a PAL videotape - not letterboxed.  No
>PAL laserdisc as far as I know.  Starts & ends without clouds.  Has
>additional scenes after Sam has his necrophilia with Jill and before he ends
>up in the torture chamber.
>
>The american theatrical cut (same as euro version minus 7 minutes) is
>available as a laserdisc and videotape.  Not letterboxed, unfortunately.
>Starts & ends with clouds.
>
>Both of the above cuts run over 2 hours.  I think the euro cut is 2 hrs and
>20 minutes, whereas the american one is 2 hrs and 13 minutes.
>
>The american TV cut (butchered beyond belief, not representative of the
>director's vision AT ALL) is shown on TV every once in a while.  It is only
>of interest to true Brazil fans (such as myself).  Starts & ends with clouds.
>
>This one runs about 90 minutes, maybe.
>
>Any further questions?
>Jon Drukman (finely honed machine)              uunet!sco!jondr   jondr@sco.com

Well, doesn't that mean there are actually ** 4 ** versions of Brazil:

 1. European theatrical cut
 2. American theatrical cut
 3. American butchered TV cut
 4. Director's cut

#1 - 3 available on videotape/laserdisk.  #4?

Also, in the list you give, you mention for each one "Starts & ends with
clouds".  What is the significance of this?

I hope everybody caught the allusion to Potemkin at the end of Brazil.  ;-)

Regards,
Andy