Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1992-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori's a Witch

From: mdc@bsbbs.oh.us
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1992 19:26:43 -0800
Subject: Re: Tori's a Witch
To: att!wiretap.spies.com!love-hounds

vickie@pilot.njin.NET (Vickie Mapes) writes:

> Vickie here (really, it's a alternate account) and the *last* thing I
> want to to get a bunch of hate mail from Tori Amos fans. Meredith said

I hope that you're not serious... Give Tori's fans some credit.
Just because your opinion is different than mine doesn't mean
that I'm going to send you hate mail.

> multiple listening session. My point in Ecto was that I didn't put muchntion
> (oops, can't edit that out) stock in all the hype and that I was getting
> very tired of it (I confess my Subject Line was "I feel like Jenn Turney")
> and that I'd end up putting Tori in a kill file. Tori's first album was
> excrutiatingly bad, IMHO, and this one is light years better. My problems
> with Tori have less to do with her than with the Publicity machinery that
> surrounds her. After years of promoting female artists on my radio show
> and agonizing over the fact that there are so many great artists out there
> who are getting totally ignored, it's (I admit) irrational of me to be
> in any way upset that a fine artist is finally getting some recognition.

Since you've had the opportunity to listen to Tori's first effort
and many of us have not, your opinion is almost certainly
going to differ... especially if you feel that the first album
was bad.  In regard to the hype, I seem to remember that the
hype over Happy was just as bad, if not worse.  It was also
suggested very early in the Tori thread that a mailing list be
started if the Tori discussion was too overwhelming.  That
wasn't offered for Happy until there were many, many
complaints.  If there are others who feel as you do; that the
discussions of Tori are annoying or out of place- please say so.

I really don't understand how you can fault an excellent artist
for having an excellent publicity machine, though I can
understand the frustration that you feel since Happy hasn't
gotten this kind of support in the business.

> Still, I feel that MTV has, for some reason, chosen Tori as their "female
> flavor of the year" and is ignoring other, just as, if not more, interesting
> females. I'd sure like to see Sarah McLachlan get the attention Tori is
> getting. Artists such as Kate and Jane Siberry have never gotten a fraction
> of the recognition (uh, promotional support too) that Tori is getting. It's
> just not fair. Tori has nothing to do with it, I know, and I'm happy for
> her and I'm very interested in seeing how this success will affect her
> next albums.

Any exposure that an _intelligent_ female singer/songwriter gets
is great.  So what if Tori is MTV's current "discovery".  There
will somebody else next month or next year, but for now a lot
more people have been exposed to a wonderful new artist.  Tori,
Kate and Sarah are just not the type of singer that MTV plays.
I'm really surprised that VH-1 hasn't played her video more
often.  Tori probably won't last long on MTV, but I'm going to
enjoy it while I can.  I'm also very interested to see how her
next album shapes up.  Since she says it took four and a half
years to write this one, I wonder where she'll get her
inspiration for the next album.

> Tori doesn't "cast a spell" on me like she obviously does on others, but I
> do like the album very much and give her all kinds of credit for what she's
> done.

So Tori doesn't cast a spell over you....That just means that
the magic is not there for you, not that there's something
there that you're missing.  :-)

 Melissa Caldwell                         You want my reply?
 The Big Sky BBS (+1 614 864 1198)         What was the question?
 {n8emr|nstar}!bluemoon!bsbbs!mdc           I was looking at the Big Sky
 mdc@bsbbs.columbus.oh.us